UKC

Camden Council and the disappearing fire doors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 26 Jun 2017
So as we saw on Friday night Camden Council evacuated 5 tower blocks for fire safety concerns triggering an immediate and obvious homeless problem.

To me this sounded like their collective knees had jerked so hard they'd given themselves concussion, however tonight i'm hearing that they are missing nearly a thousand firedoors from the blocks evacuated, yet passed a fire inspection last year.

Something smells fishy... so have doors been walking or were they never there? (a firedoor is pretty easy to distinguish from a half glass door which is what the bbc were being shown was where a firedoor should be)
 Billhook 26 Jun 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I heard that too, with the same amazement. "just went missing gov - there last night - gone this morning. Honest!!"
 Wainers44 26 Jun 2017

It sounds more like the original fire strategy was flawed. I have no idea of the detail here but a part of the problem could be how different elements and their fire properties relate to each other, rather than simply an error...or heaven forbid a conscious decision not to comply with the regs?
 Wsdconst 26 Jun 2017

Fire doors can be fully glazed, half glazed or solid, the only way to really tell is look for the coloured circle on older doors or a rated sticker on newer ones, that's if the chippie hasn't planed them off, although it's a fail if the sticker has been removed whether it's a fire door or not.
 Dave the Rave 26 Jun 2017

More fishy than fishy mcfish the fishermans wife who hasn't showered for a week!
There's only 2 things that smell of fish and one of thems a fish!
 Dauphin 26 Jun 2017

Seems pretty clear that there is a paper trail leading back to someone biggly or many bigglyish in the council which is more than incriminating - hence the need to empty the building(s) so quickly while simultaneously firing up the shredder.

D

Cheese Monkey 26 Jun 2017

Well orchestrated social cleansing capitalising on a tragedy. I can see the Camden towers being condemned, then demolished, then being sold to developers to build "affordable housing" with all the ex-residents shipped off somewhere else and swept under the carpet.

Anyway I'll put my rose tinted glasses back on before I top myself and hope for the best outcome for all concerned.
 Luke90 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

"Never attribute to malice something which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor

There's no way the council could have acted on a plan that involved so speedily.
 Cheese Monkey 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Luke90:

I expect you're right I'm just a cynic
 Fraser 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Wsdconst:

> Fire doors can be fully glazed, half glazed or solid...

Very unlikely to be half or fully glazed fire doors, given the nature of the occupancy. The cost would be totally prohibitive.

Deadeye 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Dauphin:

> Seems pretty clear that ...
> <launches into paranoid conjecture and conspiracy theory>

But if it all makes sense in your head, that's ok.

Dauphin 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

Naive ain't ya.

D
Rigid Raider 27 Jun 2017

My neighbour is a Police officer and last night over a social cup of tea he was explaining the unbelievable incompetence of the Police management in sorting out his secondment to a new role in the local force. If that's anything to go by, the county council is even more unbelievably incompetent.

Incidentally "Never attribute to malice something which can be adequately explained by stupidity" is a good explanation for the Bradley Wiggins jiffy bag mystery; my cycling buddy knows the BC team doctor very well indeed and is pretty sure that the whole thing is the result of what can be politely described as "a bit of a muddle".
OP balmybaldwin 27 Jun 2017

It sounds like this is one of those occasions where they went missing off the spec sheet due to some short sighted cost saving
 Andy Johnson 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Dauphin:
> hence the need to empty the building(s) so quickly while simultaneously firing up the shredder.

If you have specific knowledge that this is happening then you should consider going to the police. Otherwise people might mistake your post for uninformed, cynical speculation.
Post edited at 15:29
 Wsdconst 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Fraser:

> Very unlikely to be half or fully glazed fire doors, given the nature of the occupancy. The cost would be totally prohibitive.

I would agree, but local authorities do some strange things.
 Postmanpat 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:
> Incidentally "Never attribute to malice something which can be adequately explained by stupidity" is a good explanation for the Bradley Wiggins jiffy bag mystery; my cycling buddy knows the BC team doctor very well indeed and is pretty sure that the whole thing is the result of what can be politely described as "a bit of a muddle".
>
Which reminds me of what my mate who ran various hospital trusts said when I asked him what the hell he thought Jeremy Hunt was doing over the junior doctors..."I think he just got himself in a bit of a muddle...." Some muddle !
Post edited at 19:02

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...