UKC

NEWS: Ramp Super Challenge by Helliker and Frugtniet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 27 Jun 2017
On 13th June, Matt Helliker and Rhoslyn Frugtniet completed the first ascent of the Ramp "Super" Challenge on Avon Gorge's Upper Wall. The original "Ramp Challenge" was first envisaged by the late and talented Jonathon "Woody" Woods. He came up with a local challenge to climb all the starred routes on the Ramp in one session, in what was then the current CC Avon guide and in order of its pages. For a successful completion the climber would have to lead, free and place all gear on lead before moving onto the next route as though imagining the whole project being to free a multi pitch climb. The Ramp Challenge consisted of 11 routes from E2 - E6 giving a total of 50 E points.

Read more
 French Erick 27 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Gotta give it to you Brits, what you lack in big rock faces you make up in imagination!
In reply to UKC News:

I cannot conceive of climbing on those walls in that level of heat, they're warm in winter! Still, I'm sure all that head did wonders for the friction...

Good effort!
 jon 27 Jun 2017
In reply to French Erick:

And when we run out of vertical lines we go sideways. Pretty neat, eh?
 French Erick 28 Jun 2017
In reply to jon:

Girdles...much as I love climbing in the UK (Mostly Scotland admittedly!) that is one deviancy I have never understood or partaken to...plain eccentric, quintessentially British
But as you so often say, horses for course and all that.

Good effort with the challenge...sounds like a big physical one.
 simes303 28 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC News:

I thought that the Ramp Challenge referred to riding down the ramp on a bike. I used to climb there loads when I lived down South and that's the only challenge I've ever heard of.
Si.
 petegunn 28 Jun 2017
In reply to simes303:

I remember watching the mbuk boys going down that on a free vid years ago, Get a Grip! "Rolling endos, they were like (finger expression) that hard!" : )
 simes303 29 Jun 2017
In reply to John2:

That's a different ramp. It's wider and less steep than the one where the climbs start. Also the Unknown Wall ramp hasn't got a railway at the bottom.
Si.
 John2 29 Jun 2017
In reply to simes303:

The ramp in the video is on the other side of the river from the climbs, but I was asking Pete if it was the video he referred to. Some pretty good bike handling skills on display.
 tombeasley 02 Jul 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Fantastic, nice one Matt
 petegunn 02 Jul 2017
In reply to John2:
Hi John,
No that's not the Getta Grip vid, I think it was the
Pasley!? Brothers doing it

It is the same ramp though and yes its on the other side of the river to the crags as someone said.

Found it 15.50mins in!

youtube.com/watch?v=tdojA1YD4Cg&

I forgot how good/bad this vid was and the music : )
Post edited at 23:48

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...