UKC

Pre Paid Cards for Travelling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 27 Jun 2017
Does anyone on UKC use pre-paid credit card when abroad. MoneySavingExpert seems to recommend Monzo as near perfect.

Glad to hear any comments or recommendations.
 Ciro 27 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I use a cash passport prepaid euro card, and find it very handy - just set up a recipient in internet banking and transfer money over as and when required. Decent exchange rates, no fees for using abroad and no fees for topup by internet banking... there are fees for other ways of topping up but there shouldn't be any need to use them. There's a monthly fee starts if it's unused for 12 months, but if that ever happens it would suggest there's something more urgent gone wrong in my life

That was through Asda, I seem to remember Sainsbury's was similar but other retailers had different fee structures so worth checking who's offering the best deal.

The only limitiation is that as it's prepaid, it can't do transactions in offline mode. In practice, the only place I've run into this is some french motorway péage stations, but they do say it could cause it to be declined in some telephone and internet transactions, depending on how the retailer processes them, so worth having some other form of payment available for emergencies.
 Adj 27 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Check out Revolut. Last time this was asked other people recommended it, I tried it out and it has replaced what I used before
 Neil Williams 27 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Monzo is at the moment a loss leader, so is a very good deal indeed.
 Ciro 27 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

That's the one
 1poundSOCKS 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Ciro:

> The only limitiation is that as it's prepaid, it can't do transactions in offline mode. In practice, the only place I've run into this is some french motorway péage stations

Ah, so that's why my Post Office prepaid card wouldn't work, although mainly in Spanish tolls.
OP mypyrex 27 Jun 2017
In reply to All:
I see that (most of) the cards have an associated app to enabe you to top-up. Would I be right in saying that this can be done whilst you're abroad?
 JayPee630 28 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
Fairfax is also good if you want a non app based one. Revolut looked best to me, but needed an app and easy internet access which wasn't possible where I went.
Post edited at 07:46
 Blue Straggler 28 Jun 2017
Are Revolut and Monzo (and presumably most of the others) simply pre-loadable Visa or Mastercards?

My problem is that I have occasional business travel in Germany where a lot of places do not accept Visa, Mastercard or American Express. I usually end up buying a load of Euros in cash before my trip, so that I don't get caught out at restaurants etc.

I'm after something like these cards, but on a supplier(?) that's accepted throughout Germany. EC-Karte ??

Or am I better off setting up something with my bank that allows me to get cash out from German cashpoints without an exorbitant fee?
 Dauphin 28 Jun 2017
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Try Monese.

D
 shaymarriott 28 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I use Monzo and have zero issues with it - I find most places will accept Mastercard.

I have a Golden Ticket if you decide to go for Monzo and need to jump the queue.
 tony 28 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

> I see that (most of) the cards have an associated app to enabe you to top-up. Would I be right in saying that this can be done whilst you're abroad?

I've used Revolut in this way. If you do this, I'd suggest setting up the associated accounts before you go and doing a couple of test runs before you go, just to make sure it really does work the way you want it.
OP mypyrex 28 Jun 2017
In reply to thread:
Having looked at Several cards they all seem to be much of a muchness and I've ordered a revolut. The top up app facility seems to be useful in that you can top up wherever you can get internet.
OP mypyrex 28 Jun 2017
In reply to tony:

Thanks. Your post crossed with mine!
Jimbocz 28 Jun 2017

> Are Revolut and Monzo (and presumably most of the others) simply pre-loadable Visa or Mastercards?

> Or am I better off setting up something with my bank that allows me to get cash out from German cashpoints without an exorbitant fee?

Yes, Revolut is either Visa or MasterCard, can't remember which. However, you could still use it withdraw Euros from the ATM. You would have to load it with pounds from a bank account, then use the app to change them to euros, then withdraw from an ATM.

Personally, I've never seen a place that takes cards but won't take Visa or MC, but whatever.

I like Revolut just fine.
In reply to Dauphin:

I will investigate, thanks
In reply to Jimbocz:

> Personally, I've never seen a place that takes cards but won't take Visa or MC, but whatever.

What's the "whatever" for? Are you questioning my observations? ;-/

Thanks for the info above that, about pre-loading the card and using it to extract cash from ATM. Sounds a roundabout way of doing things but I guess no less so (and more convenient, secure and portable than carrying a wad of Euros around)

Jimbocz 29 Jun 2017

> What's the "whatever" for? Are you questioning my observations? ;-/

Reading back, I most likely misunderstood. Do businesses not accept credit cards in Germany?

TomGB 29 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I liven in Italy and all the seasonaires use Revolut (we get paid in sterling to UK bank a/c). It's Mastercard and you get interbank rates on transactions/withdrawals and no fees etc. The app is very user friendly and any top ups are available immediately.
 Blue Straggler 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Jimbocz:

This has been my experience in a lot of places, yes. I have a Nationwide Mastercard which allows fee-free, commission-free purchases in shops and restaurants, I am probably still not getting the best rate I could. I've had it for years and it's been helpful in lots of European travel. EXCEPT IN GERMANY

Hotels are usually OK but quite a lot of restaurants and some shops are no good. I did quickly Google this and the broad view is that Germany is not a credit card culture.

Mastercard seems more accepted than does Visa, but then again I usually try the Mastercard first because my Visa cards will incur larger fees.

I remember last year when I was staying near Hannover for a working week, I stayed in a nearby spa town called Bad Nenndorf. One particular evening toward the end of my stay, when my physical cash reserves were getting low and I wanted to hold onto my last 40E cash in case of any cash requirements on my last day, I trekked about a mile checking 4 or 5 pubs and restaurants for my dinner, to see if they would accept AMEX, Visa or Mastercard. Nope. Ended up getting a cheap Chinese buffet, an hour later than I'd planned, in a deserted restaurant at the edge of this small town. It was all a bit depressing!
 stevieb 29 Jun 2017
In reply to TomGB:

I've got a Halifax Clarity card at the moment.
Do you know if you get a better rate for purchases for Monzo / Revolut? Or is it just better for money withdrawals?
Jimbocz 29 Jun 2017
In reply to stevieb:
> I've got a Halifax Clarity card at the moment.

> Do you know if you get a better rate for purchases for Monzo / Revolut? Or is it just better for money withdrawals?

The Revolut card doesn't have a rate for purchases, it's just like having a card in The local currency so the purchase happens in That currency. You have several virtual buckets of money in different currencies and the card picks the best one to use. You can move money from one bucket to another for cheap or free.
Post edited at 16:12
 lithos 29 Jun 2017

dont use moneycorp. this thread prompted me to check out may account as im off to euroland for a jaunt and
if you leave the card dormant for 12 months they charge 3 quid a month ! I was shocked (and 15 quid worse off)

They are tw*ts !
 PawelP 30 Jun 2017
In reply to stevieb:

I also got Halifax Clarity, it is brilliant for normal purchases - when paying you opt for euro and then the current mastercard's exchange rates is used (spread relatively low) but this year used it to pick up some cash from ATM in Mallorca and the rate was 15% worse than spot xe.
Probably it was down the ATM's bank but be warned.
 eltankos 30 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I use a Caxton FX mastercard and it's been good, (perhaps not currently the best rates though)
Top it up before you go, or while on holiday via app or text, and you can use it in shops/ restaurants etc. or to withdraw from ATMs fee free.
Only time it didnt work was a train ticket machine in Germany.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...