UKC

Bouldering in Essex

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MrWayne 28 Jun 2017
I'm moving to Chelmsford, Essex next month. A quick google search did not show much nearby in the way of indoor gyms. Any advice?
Thanks
 Kevster 28 Jun 2017
In reply to MrWayne:

There isnt much!
Certainly not quality bouldering. London has a number of well know walls though.
Theres a few minor walls around, including Harlow which is OK
MrWayne 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Kevster:

Thought so. Gap in the market here if someone fancies it
 The Ivanator 29 Jun 2017
In reply to MrWayne:

Fairlop Boulders is on the right side of London and quite entertaining in an artificial outdoors sorta way.
 Rob Laird 29 Jun 2017
In reply to MrWayne:

> Thought so. Gap in the market here if someone fancies it

I had half a look at setting up a bouldering only gym in chelmsford, but soon figured out I needed a lot more money than I was able to get hold of!

Harlow and Basildon have small bouldering walls, then there's Fairlop waters, but being outside it's not always the best to climb on year round.
Andy Gamisou 30 Jun 2017
In reply to MrWayne:

> I'm moving to Chelmsford, Essex next month.
A quick google search did not show much nearby in the way of indoor gyms. Any advice?

The Cragg at Stowmarket isn't bad. Bit of a hike from Chelmsford, but probably an easier (and more pleasant) journey if you plan to drive. Around an hour or so?

GrahamD 30 Jun 2017
In reply to MrWayne:

If its just bouldering you want then the Kelsey Kerridge in Cambridge isn't bad these days but gets busy in the evenings. Never thought I'd say that ! at one time it hade to be a candidate for the worst wall in the country but it has been completely redeveloped in the last few years.
 Chops 01 Jul 2017
In reply to MrWayne:

Sadly not much around Chelmsford, hopefully someone will open something in the not-too-distant future!

Harlow is reasonable for lead but not great bouldering. High sports Basildon is pretty limited for both.
The Stronghold in Tottenham is an excellent new bouldering venue, 45 minute drive.
The Reach is a similar drive and has pretty good lead and bouldering.
 Brass Nipples 01 Jul 2017
In reply to MrWayne:

There's a few boulders placed in parks for climbing on if you take a look. Fairly easy but good for a bit of fun between weekends away.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...