UKC

Printing maps at home

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ralphio 29 Jun 2017
Bit of a geeky question. I've just subscribed to OS online so I can start printing maps out. The quality isn't amazing on the cheap paper I'm using. Can anyone recommend some good quality printing paper that is especially good for printing maps onto? I expect the cheap printer isnt helping but can't really afford to buy a second. Thanks
 Dan Arkle 29 Jun 2017
In reply to ralphio:

This may or may not be helpful, but I use toughprint waterproof paper for my maps and they last forever.

Otherwise try some 160gsm inkjet paper
 Neil Williams 29 Jun 2017
In reply to ralphio:

Possibly is just the printer, I find the quality to be almost as good as a real one.
 tony 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Neil Williams:

Agreed - I use standard 80gsm paper and it's fine.
In reply to ralphio:

Using higher quality paper made some difference for me, but messing about with the printer settings made more difference.
OP ralphio 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Any printer settings you found to make a big difference? My main gripe is the contour lines are quite faint.
In reply to ralphio:

As far as I can remember, on a Canon inkjet printer, it was 'print quality' and something akin to vividness which made the biggest difference. I previously had the same issue with contours.
In reply to ralphio:
Which printer do you have? Is it a photo quality printer? Much depends on what options your printer gives and has defaulted to or sets automatically determined on source requested.

Generally you will need to access the printer properties options and then look for example quality type speed and quality settings which may say things like normal, fast, best, photo, etc. May also have more obscure options defaulted with things like everyday printing, internet printing or draft printing. Just a guess without knowing your printer.

BTW, I have only ever used 80 or 90 gsm paper for printing maps for day to day use, and using a printer with 6 separate colour ink tanks have had no problem for years. An older printer that used composite 3 colour tanks was a bit more problematic and the contours were a bit on the faint side.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...