UKC

NEWS: Arco Climbing Ambassador Award for Mike Kosterlitz

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 29 Jun 2017
Gwen Moffat in the Lake District, 3 kbNobel Prize winning physicist and pioneering climber Mike Kosterlitz has been announced as the 2017 recipient of the prestigious Arco Rock Legends Climbing Ambassador award. The 74 year old Scottish born scientist is credited with the first ascent of some classic rock routes in the Italian Alps - including the eponymous Fessura Kosterlitz (f6B)??????? 6a+ on Massi del Sergent in the Orco Valley and the rarely repeated Via degli Inglesi (ED) on Piz Badile, Bregaglia. Mike's influence within the Italian climbing scene catalysed progression towards modern alpinism.

Read more
 Greenbanks 29 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Greatly deserved. The Gormenghast photo - notwithstanding other stellar achievements - was an early inspiration (& got me up the route!)
In reply to UKC News:

Any forum questions for Mike? He's agreed to an interview.
 Mick Ward 29 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Great that he's been honoured in two such important domains in his life. I'm sure his Nobel prize was richly deserved and the Arco Rock Legends one certainly is. I'm always a little dubious about awards but when one goes like an arrow flight to someone utterly deserving, there's a warm glow inside. You think, 'They got it right!'

Am looking forward to the interview. Have always regarded him as a legendary figure. Would be interested in knowing a little about his climbing partnership with the late Dick Isherwood. They seemed like a pair who could get up well-nigh anything at the time.

Mick
 French Erick 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

How did he end up inspiring Italian climbers that much? Did he strike some long term friendships there? How's his Italian?
How was it to walk in Valle dell'Orco with a view to Free things? Did he consider lines that hadn't been previously aided? If yes which ones?
 Luke90 29 Jun 2017

Sounds like he gave up climbing some time ago. What prompted that?
In reply to Luke90:

Serious illness according to online info.
 Luke90 29 Jun 2017

Probably not a cheery topic to bring up then! Ignore my question!
 myrddinmuse 02 Jul 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Climbing physicists represent! Inspiring that it's actually possible to balance hard climbing and hard physics..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...