UKC

Todays Breakfast TV news

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ice Doctor 29 Jun 2017

A story about a woman rescued by mountain rescue from a hill somewhere in the Lake District. Her quote ' I was two hours from the road'

My question, why didn't you just walk down?

Story followed by an 'expert' telling you what you should have in a rucksack.

(Real american style reporting here in the UK these days, please note I don't watch much TV and was at a friend's)

Oh, and guess what, you should have a map and compass in your rucksack. The expert didn't stress you should learn how to use them, go on course maybe?

Is this TV for dumb and dumber? Next they will be instructing people how to breathe!
Post edited at 17:37
Moley 29 Jun 2017
In reply to The Ice Doctor:

> Is this TV for dumb and dumber? Next they will be instructing people how to breathe!

I'm not holding my breath....

nathan79 29 Jun 2017

Had she not gone over/broken her ankle?

Agree though. A worthless piece of "news"
 fred99 30 Jun 2017

> A story about a woman rescued by mountain rescue from a hill somewhere in the Lake District. Her quote ' I was two hours from the road'

My question would be;
Where in the Lake District could you be a full 2 hours (downhill) walking from the nearest road given reasonable health.
I twisted my knee last year some distance from the road in the Lakes, and it still only took me an hour or so to effectively bum-slide almost a thousand feet down to the nearest level track and then hobble out.
 Stichtplate 30 Jun 2017

A brief perusal of mountain rescue logs would indicate that dumb and dumber are indeed at large on the hills.
 summo 30 Jun 2017

In days of olde, tourists wouldn't even be noticed as missing until they failed to appear for breakfast in their b&b etc.. they'd have a whole night to solve their own predicament. Not ideal in serious incidents, but the contemplation time would have done her the world of good.
 Andy Johnson 30 Jun 2017
In reply to fred99:

> Where in the Lake District could you be a full 2 hours (downhill) walking from the nearest road given reasonable health.

For an inexperienced person who is slow on descents, maybe Scafell / Esk Hause / Bow Fell area? Can't think of anywhere else though.
 DancingOnRock 30 Jun 2017

I tend not to keep my map and compass in my rucksack as it's difficult to read in there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...