UKC

Which vango tent to choose: banshee or blade?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sido 29 Jun 2017
Hello,

I am looking for a tent for wild camping in the summer in Scotland. I am still a beginner but love my nature and hill-walking.

I'm mostly hesitating between the banshee and blade 200 (it's just for me, but allows room for my gears as it often rains). They seem affordable, light enough and weather resistant.

Any advice? Another Vango tent you think would be better?

Thank you very much!
 abr1966 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Sido:

I have a banshee 200 but don't rate it. It's ok protection wise and pitches easily but I can't get on with the side entry and am looking to get a more standard shape tent. My mate has one and he likes it though. Have a look in a go outdoors and climb in and out a few times....see what you think. My other problem is that I can't sit up in it S it's too low....I bought it for backpacking and cycle touring but now mostly I'm on the bike so getting a bigger and taller tent!
 Andypeak 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Sido:

I've got a banshee 300. Brilliant tent, been through every sort of weather you can think of without any issues. My only fault is the tiny porch
 Ron Kenyon 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Sido:

A friend of mine was using his Vango Force Ten Mark 2 on the Isle of Sandray - the other week - the tent is 43 year old (he is a bit older!).
Don't make tents like that now !
 Timmd 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

> Don't make tents like that now !

http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/blog/49_force-ten-classic-tents.html

Technically untrue.
 sensibleken 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Sido:

I'd buy the one named after the Gaelic herald of death. Just so you can feel alive.
 Dark-Cloud 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Sido:

I bought a Blade as a cheap second tent instead of using my TN Laser for wild camps, only used it once and was unimpressed, a real fussy pitch with the single pole on uneven ground, it got a little bit windy in the night and ended up with inner and outer stuck together most of the time, was also flappy and noisy, i wouldn't buy it again, in fact it might be heading to eBay.....
 nutme 30 Jun 2017
I had Banshee for couple of years. Very good for sub £200 tent. Plenty of space for 2 people with gear. Worth replacing pegs, but otherwise very nice. It's very easy to pitch and you can keep inner attached all the time. So then erecting in rain it stays dry. It's a big benefit for Scotland.

Got rid of it only because wanted much lighter and free standing tent.
In reply to Sido:

The banshee is OK but I'd recommend the Nemesis

http://www.summits.co.uk/product/vango-nemesis-200-tent-2-person-tent/

Plenty of head room and storage space for gear and to cook in as you have access and porches to the front and back
It's also going to stand up to everything the UK can throw at it .
I use the 300 model .

ManuelS 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Sido:

I have a banshee 200 and I'm pretty happy with it. Very fast and easy to pitch, decent amount of space for one and reasonably cheap. Good option in that price range.
Sido 03 Jul 2017
In reply to Sido:

Thank you so much for all your replies, it's been so helpful!
 mangoletse 04 Jul 2017
In reply to Sido:

I actually have a Banshee 200 I'd been considering selling - due to lack of use since I started using a tarp/bivi bag for most of my overnighters. Email if interested!
 elliot.baker 04 Jul 2017
In reply to Sido:

I have a 5 or 6 year old Banshee 200 and it's been great. Hasn't leaked. It is small, like I can't even sit up right in it, but for the price I think it's great.
Bellie 05 Jul 2017
In reply to Sido:

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/gelert-track-2-tent-783014?colcode=78301416

This looks like Gelert branded version of a Banshee. About same weight as the Vango one. But at £38 it means less of a problem if you don't like it! Sports Direct bought the Gelert brand a year or so back. Up til then a lot of their tents carried the Karrimor badge. Now they seem to be carrying the Gelert badge as they previously did do tents. My mate got a Karrimor tent last year, and to be fair it is pretty decent.

There are much lighter tents out there but, plenty of folk are ok carrying the Banshee on a hike.

Skip 06 Jul 2017
In reply to Sido:

I had a banshee for several years, good tent at the price, but i found the side opening and lack of effective porch very annoying, it's difficult to avoid some rain getting into the inner tent when entering/exiting. For a similar price and weight I suggest the Robens Voyager 2 a superior tent to the banshee in my opinion. The design and features have been well thought out, quick and easy to pitch, pitches in one (inner and outer) and has a decent sized porch.

http://www.robens.de/en/Products/tents/trail/voyager-2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...