UKC

Copyright

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 29 Jun 2017
Some months ago I produced a video lasting about 15 minutes which MIGHT be of interest to UKCers.

Up until now I've only "released" it to close friends and family for the reason that it contains some material on which I do not have copyright. Naturally I do not wish to fall foul of "publishing" material which "belongs to another person.

I know(hope) some others on here might like to see it. Is there any way I can make it available to UKCers without infringing any copyright?
In reply to mypyrex:

Ask permission of the copyright owner?

Wasn't copyright law recently revised to allow short extracts to be exempt from copyright?

Alternatively, copying what everyone else seems to do, just stick it on YouTube, which seems to be stuffed full of copyright-violating material...
Post edited at 19:00
OP mypyrex 29 Jun 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Ask permission of the copyright owner?
Difficult. Not easy to identify
> Wasn't copyright law recently revised to allow short extracts to be exempt from copyright?
Don't know about that
> Alternatively, copying what everyone else seems to do, just stick it on YouTube, which seems to be stuffed full of copyright-violating material...
Just been looking at Youtube. Seems to be a privacy thing linked to email addresses of potential viewer - no quite sure.
OP mypyrex 29 Jun 2017
In reply to thread:
I've listed it on youtube as private but how about if I put the link on a UKC thread?
 Fraser 29 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
Busted, or so it would seem.

Edit: or removed! I suspect you have already infringed the copyright, judging by what you've said here.
Post edited at 19:14
OP mypyrex 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Fraser:

> Busted, or so it would seem.

Sorry, can yo clarify please?
 Fraser 29 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
The link you had posted then subsequently removed. I got a youtube message saying the video had been removed, that's all.
Post edited at 19:15
OP mypyrex 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Fraser:

> The link you had posted then subsequently removed. I got a youtube message saying the video had been removed, that's all.

Might that have been because I deleted the link. I was doing a quick clandestine test.
OP mypyrex 29 Jun 2017
Oh well, seemed like a good idea at the time. Sorry folks.
 balmybaldwin 29 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

With a vimeo account they seem less bothered about using commercial music etc if you publish using a creative common license setting, plus there's also the option to make vid either only available via a link or password protected (or both) free account allows 1 upload per week iirc
 Y Gribin 29 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Hard to say without knowing the video, but there are copyright exceptions which might apply to you?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exceptions-to-copyright

marsbar 29 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

You could say in the credits that it's not all your own work and you have been unable to trace all parties but would be happy to aknowledge them, if they would please get in touch.
 birdie num num 29 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex

I think copyright exists to protect against third party gain from original material. If there's no financial gain, then there is no infringement.
 AP Melbourne 30 Jun 2017
In reply to birdie num num:

Song lyrics as another example *cannot* be quoted in a body of written work even if credited. Unless permission is given by the copyright owner (which is often a record company, can take years to secure and costs huge amounts of money).
Bit silly really when four or five words illustrate a point.
OP mypyrex 30 Jun 2017
In reply to thread:
The only thing that Youtube seems to pick up as copyright material on my particular video is the audio(music).
I thought about uploading it minus the audio but that, in my personal opinion, would detract from the quality of the clip.

marsbar 30 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

You could search for some music with Creative Commons licence?
 Y Gribin 30 Jun 2017

> In reply to mypyrex

> ...........If there's no financial gain, then there is no infringement.

That's not correct. Copyright protects your work from being used by other people without your permission. Financial gain doesn't come into it.
 Dave Garnett 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Y Gribin:

> That's not correct. Copyright protects your work from being used by other people without your permission. Financial gain doesn't come into it.

That's right, but there's a difference between a technical infringement and something worth getting lawyered up for, and that difference is whether someone is making money out of it.
 Timmd 30 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

There's something about saying 'fair use' for youtube videos, but I don't know the details.
 mrphilipoldham 30 Jun 2017

Whoever is hosting the video (YouTube etc) sell advertising and so will be gaining from the copyright infringement.
 Blue Straggler 30 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
I have uploaded some stuff to YouTube containing copyrighted material (music) and credited it as such, and managed OK . Yet sometimes it doesn't work. I think it depends on how zealous the record company (or more likely, the owners of the copyright). Anything on BMG gets shut down very quickly. I guess the big companies have technology that does a sort of automatic "Shazam" on all new uploads and spots when something in their library is used.
My stuff is usually from small independent bands on tiny record labels but at the same time not massively obscure.
I did upload something in late 2015 using some Ennio Morricone music and he's pretty globally famous, and I have not "fallen foul" of anything. Public video. Less than 300 views so far. Maybe nothing happens unless someone actively reports it to YouTube.

Probably also depends on how exactly you added the music to the video. Mine were simple, using the Windows Movie Maker and putting an mp3 on .

Post edited at 12:36
OP mypyrex 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Mine were simple, using the Windows Movie Maker and putting an mp3 on .
That's how I do it.
I'm currently looking at creative commons website to find an appropriate audio. Watch this space
OP mypyrex 03 Jul 2017
I still want to "publish" my video as mentioned earlier and have found some music under Creative Commons. I still have a problem with some of the images in that I cannot identify who has the copyright on them.

OP mypyrex 03 Jul 2017
Suggestions?
 daWalt 03 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

> Suggestions?

publish........ and be dammed!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...