UKC

IFSC Euro Champs Lead & Speed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Lead quals are being streamed now with semi finals and finals tomorrow.

Can be seen on the event page on the IFSC site http://www.ifsc-climbing.org/index.php/component/ifsc/?view=event&WetId...
 stp 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Thanks. Had been wondering about a stream.
In reply to stp:

The stream is not from OBS, the usual IFSC provider - it is from a local company.
 Billymo 30 Jun 2017

Looks like Molly has qualified for Semi's!

Anyone know why she is the only GB athlete involved?
 stp 30 Jun 2017

The video is more choppy than usual which is a bit of shame. And no English commentary? On the plus side it's great that they streamed the qualification round at all.
 stp 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Billymo:
Good question. I hoped I might see Will Bosi might be competing. But if the BMC is not even covering travel costs I'd guess many of our young climbers can't afford to go.

I thought Molly climbed really well, in control without hesitation, at least until the stream switched to someone else.
Post edited at 13:18
 full stottie 30 Jun 2017

Thanks for the link.

Just watched some of the speed climbing qualification rounds (its a wet day here too). Its another world, but weirdly compelling. It also occurred to me that some of my indoor wall climbs are all over within 6 or 7 seconds too.

Dave
 stp 01 Jul 2017

> The stream is not from OBS, the usual IFSC provider - it is from a local company.

Well I sincerely hope they'll be reverting to the usual provider asap. To say the stream spoiled my evening's entertainment would be an understatement. I missed almost all of the high points of the comp because the stream kept pausing and frequently dropped altogether and I had to reload the page some 15 -20 times during the finals. No scores update and completely useless English commentary meant it was mostly impossible to work out what was going on.

Anyone know where to find a replay of the final?
In reply to becauseitsthere:

Sorry no.

Just so that everyone knows, IFSC and IFSC Europe are not the same body.

Not quite as separated as UEFA and FIFA but still different.
 stp 02 Jul 2017

> Sorry no.

> IFSC and IFSC Europe are not the same body.

That's interesting to hear and something of a relief. I thought the coverage was appalling.

Does this mean the lead World Cups are going to keep to the same time limits as last year?

john arran 02 Jul 2017
In reply to stp:

> That's interesting to hear and something of a relief. I thought the coverage was appalling.

I was amazed that any coverage aimed at a multilingual audience would rely so heavily on audio commentary, which was overwhelmingly in Italian. When it did switch to English it often didn't help: (from memory) "She might surprise us, she might not. We'll just have to wait and see." - and then back to Italian!
At a minimum I would have expected screen captions to say who was currently climbing, and frequent tabular updates showing the leaderboard and the climbers still to come. And surely graphics showing the current highpoints of climbers isn't too much to ask nowadays? It took separate-screen reference to a different IFSC webpage to make any sense of what was being shown.

I appreciate that it's being broadcast for free, which is much appreciated, but that doesn't excuse a near total lack of thought seemingly having gone into it to make it interesting for the majority of potential viewers.
In reply to stp:

No. The Rules for ISFC Europe follow the IFSC Rules. Such things as webcasting are the responsibly of IFSC Europe.

Keep up at the back! Or ask me when you are down the Works.
 stp 03 Jul 2017

> The Rules for ISFC Europe follow the IFSC Rules.

So does that the new 6 minute rule will be rolled out at all this year's World Cup events then ?

> Keep up at the back!

I do try. I'm actually subscribed to the IFSC newsfeed but nothing ever comes through so I assume it's broken. Maybe you could inform the webmaster as there are no contact details. The link I'm using is: http://www.ifsc-climbing.org/index.php?format=feed&type=rss

But a quick check of the news on the IFSC site and there's no mention of any time change anyway.

stp 03 Jul 2017
In reply to john arran:

I agree with all of that. I'd also add it seems shite to not upload the footage either for those who couldn't view live. All it takes is one person to upload it to Youtube and post the link. It doesn't even cost anything.

A good showing in both events for Molly TS. Well done lass.!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...