UKC

Hill Climbs for Training

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 planetmarshall 30 Jun 2017
I'm looking for good routes to do weighted hill climbs, anyone familiar with the muscular endurance workouts in "Training for the New Alpinism" will know the kind of thing. Steep, at least 300m in vertical height gain. I need to be able to move fast, so can't be too technical but I guess a bit of Mod or Grade 2 scrambling wouldn't do any harm.

I live in the Peak, so am familiar with most of the possibilities there such as Jacob's Ladder or Crowden Clough. Scotland is a bit far to travel just to train but would certainly look at Snowdonia, the Lakes or the Yorkshire Dales.

The path up from Sty Head to Great Gable (NY 219096) is ideal but it's a bit remote - though I guess could be done as part of a longer day.

The path up Carnedd Dafydd from Idwal Cottage (SH 649606) looks pretty good too, never tried it though - I'm just guessing from the map.

Anyone have any favourites for this kind of thing, or sections of longer routes that they think might fit the bill?
 Andy Hardy 30 Jun 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

If you live in the peak, up and down Chrome and Parkhouse Hills (laps if not enough ascent)
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> If you live in the peak, up and down Chrome and Parkhouse Hills (laps if not enough ascent)

Yes I'm not far from Buxton and those have been on the list for a while. Trying to avoid laps where possible, though.
 SiWood 30 Jun 2017

What about the path up to Stickle tarn then Jacks Rake.

Fairly direct and easily accessible from the road and starts climbing almost immediately
 Andy Hardy 30 Jun 2017

What about going across a few dales (as opposed to along them)? No maps to hand right now but Topley pike with a full rack of trad kit is always a lung buster.
 John Kelly 30 Jun 2017

Walk to a mountain crag (pavey, gimmer, black crag from valley) with your rack and rope - do a route, job done.
 Rick Graham 30 Jun 2017
In reply to John Kelly:

> Walk to a mountain crag (pavey, gimmer, black crag from valley) with your rack and rope - do a route, job done.

and carry your mates rack and rope as well. Folk will queue up to climb with you.
 Exile 30 Jun 2017
I live in the South Lakes, but when I've wanted to get a lot of climbing in, (when regularly doing fell races / mountain marathons,) I did a lot of training in the Howgills - lots of opportunity to go up one ridge, drop to the valley, go up another and repeat.

In terms of the Lakes a favourite run of mine, (for height gain,) was up Striding Edge to Helvellyn summit, across Nethermost Pike and Dollywaggon Pike, straight down the old fence / wall line and up to the summit of Seat Sandal, (almost due south,) down and up Fairfeild, go from the summit of Fairfield towards Hart Crag but before you get there go down Link Cove, go around Greenhow End and back up to Deepdale Hawse, over St Sunday Crag and back down to the road.
Post edited at 16:40
 summo 30 Jun 2017
Kirk fell is allegedly steepest continuous ascent. Pen yr ole wen direct from the llyn. Up one of the steeper southern ridges to blencathra. I would just see how many low grade scrambles you can join together in a day.

Ps. Not convinced on carrying the extra weight but it's your knees not mine.
Post edited at 16:39
 John Kelly 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

Gimmer from mickleden
Removed User 30 Jun 2017

I use Kirk Fell, from Wasdale Head pub as a test of fitness, for a grand day out, Wha House - Esk Hause - Great End - Scafell Pike - Mickledore, Foxes Tarn - Scafell - Slight Side, Wha House takes some beating, I adjust the weight carried with bottles of water, for instance if training for a trek where I will be carrying 12-15 Kg, I will start training with 10Kg and build up to 15kg. If I get tied towards the end, I can empty the water!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...