UKC

Nordic intermediate grades

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr. Lee 02 Jul 2017
I wondered how easy it would be to add intermediate grades to the upper half of the Nordic grades in the logbooks? From 7- upwards the Nordic grading bands become more spaced and more inaccurate as a result. Quite a few guidebooks are using intermediate grades to overcome this. Eg 7-/7, 7/7+ and so on.

I'm expecting Alan to pipe up and say just use French grades but with intermediate Nordic grades both systems are very comparable. Also, it's obviously a problem with both trad and sport grades rather than just sport. If it's going to be a massive faff then don't worry about it.
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Hi Lee,

They slotted into the existing system perfectly to be honest. They're in there.
OP Mr. Lee 04 Jul 2017
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Nice one. Glad that wasn't too hard. I noticed you've altered just the sport grades. Any chance you could change the trad grades in exactly the same way? Cheers.
OP Mr. Lee 05 Jul 2017

Also, 7+/8- and 8+/9- need to be added to the sport grades. Cheers.
 Nj 05 Jul 2017
In reply to Mr. Lee:

The Nordic grades have very clear equals in the French system, before 8a it is sometimes with slash grades, sometimes not
Here's the truth:

7- = 6b
7-/7 = 6b+
7 = 6c
7/7+ = 6c+
7+ = 7a
7+/8- = 7a+
8- = 7b
8 = 7b+
8/8+ = 7c
8+ = 7c+
9- = 8a

So 8-/8 and 8+/9- do not have a direct equivalent without using a slash in the French grades.

From 9- upwards you add a slash grade everytime you go up a French grade, so 9-/9 is 8a+, 9 is 8b, 9/9+ is 8b+ etc.
OP Mr. Lee 05 Jul 2017
In reply to Nj:

I wasn't asking for intermediate grades so that everything equated nicely to the French system. I was asking for the intermediate grades because the spacing between ALL grades from 7- upwards gets massive. The spacing between 8- and 8 is obviously the same as 8 and 8+ for example so it would be silly to miss out grades just because they don't neatly convert to French.
 DanielJ 05 Jul 2017
In reply to Nj:
Truth about nordic grades? With that diagram, at least in the 7th grade, your in for a rough ride at least in Gothenburg/Bohuslän area and probably whole of Finland.

Might be true for some places in Norway, Lofoten?

HeMa 05 Jul 2017
In reply to DanielJ:

>... probably whole of Finland.

Indeed since Finland doesn't actually use the Scandinavian grades, but their own.
finnish 6- = f6c/+
finnish 7 = f7a

and so on.

and they seem to be more or less the same as in Bohuslan (eg. 7- is around f6c or even f6c+).
OP Mr. Lee 05 Jul 2017

Aha gotcha. Cheers.
In reply to Mr. Lee:

The Trad grades are sorted now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...