UKC

Peak District mountain bike guidebook routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 02 Jul 2017
Does anyone else who rides in the Peak use the Vertebrate guide books? I bought them for some inspiration when I got my mtb last year, and the 'inveterate ticker' in me that drives my climbing towards going to crags that are rubbish just because I've never been there before, or trying to climb every route with star at Stanage at VS or below etc. has had me ticking off a few of the routes over the winter and this year.

I just thought if anyone else does we could have a route recommendation or comment thread as last night I rode the Calver Circuit in the White Peak guide and thought it was a bit pants - besides the descent below Baslow (which I had ridden before) all the other descents were on tarmac which seemed really odd for a mountain bike route. I wonder if the road from Hassop Common down to the hamlet of Rowland (all just up and west of Calver) has been surfaced since the book came out? If you do go that way, take some cash as their was a stall outside a house selling rather nice looking Edale MRT branded jams and marmalade. I didn't have any cash on me so didn't take anything, but will try to remember if I'm going that way again!

I did the This Is Ladybower ride in the Dark Peak book a couple of weeks ago and that was a good loop. Lots of proper technical riding with just a few bits of road riding joining the trails.
 wilkesley 02 Jul 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Haven't got the book a and it's about 20 years since I cycled the route. If you mean the descent from Longstone Edge, that used to be a quarry road with lots of big pot holes. However, there are a couple of possible routes. If you look at OpenStreetmap, the quarry road was the one that is the dotted line next to the Rowland CP legend on the map.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...