UKC

Harness recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 newby4804 02 Jul 2017
Can anyone reccomend a good all round mountaineering harness? I have an old Petzl Calidris harness (around 13 year old) and I've finally accepted that it needs to be replaced. I've been looking at various Petzl harnesses and the Arcteryx AR395a inparticular but this does seem expensive. I read that DMM flexform harnesses were due out in the spring but I'm still waiting...
Requirements for the new harness:
Gear haul loop at the rear,
Good sized gear loops,
Adjustable leg loops,
Ice clipper slots and
Comfortable during long days climbing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, but please be honest and tell me the pro's and cons to your weapon of choice.
 stu84 02 Jul 2017
In reply to newby4804:

I think I started out with the same petzl caladris harness as you mention in 2002. Since then I have used a petzl corax, I think it has all the features you need. I like that it is comfy and very adjustable as it has two adjustment points on the waist (as with the caladris) and adjustable legs.

It seems that less harnesses offer double adjustment to the waist these days. I've always found it a more comfortable fit.

I use my corax for everything from indoor to winter and instructing. It's a bit heavier than some of the new sport climbing harnesses but I don't do much sport climbing and prefer the extra adjustment.

Hope that helps
Stu
 brianjcooper 02 Jul 2017
In reply to stu84:
> It seems that less harnesses offer double adjustment to the waist these days. I've always found it a more comfortable fit.

I've got a new Wild Country Syncro, and that does have two adjustable waist buckles. It replaces my older version.
I still like it because I find it more adjustable when adding or reducing clothing. Summer and Winter.
It has adjustable legs and seven gear loops.

I also have a DMM Renegade II with adjustable legs and seven gear loops. It has a 'floating' adjustable waist.

Both are excellent despite their price. Hope this helps too.
Post edited at 18:11
Removed User 03 Jul 2017
In reply to newby4804:

Black Diamond Aspect? Adjustable leg loops, haul loop, four ice clipper slots, supposed to be comfy (never tried it), seems to retail between £50 and 60 online. Have a look at whether the gear loops are large enough for you.
 Eciton 03 Jul 2017
In reply to newby4804:

The new petzl adjama ticks all your boxes. But I think it will only be available January 2018.
 Mr. Lee 03 Jul 2017
In reply to newby4804:

I purchased the Arcteryx harness a few months ago. Really like it. Previously I'd used a Black Diamond Xenos harness (very similar to the Aspect harness). The thing that swung me towards the Arcteryx harness this time was the broader gear loops compared to the BD models. Having used it for a few months I'd say it also the most comfortable harness I've used as well as having a small pack size. The fit was what ultimately did it for me though. I'd try both on and see how the gear loops and clipper slots align.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...