UKC

Bread makers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ice Doctor 03 Jul 2017
Have No clue about such things.

Can anyone recommend one?

Are they any good at whole meal?

Is it possible to make up a mixture, without buying all the expensive convenience packaged crap?

Bear in mind it's not for use in this country. Asia.
 ben b 03 Jul 2017
In reply to The Ice Doctor:
Panasonic - last forever, work well, repairable to a degree if needed.

Wholemeal works fine, and no need to buy mixtures. yeast and flour covers most of it!

Experiment with lobbing other things in - tins of olives etc.

b
Post edited at 09:51
 Oliver Houston 03 Jul 2017

Ours is a Russell Hobbs, the first one threw itself off the counter, but the replacement (after much complaining) seems fine. The first moved very violently, so maybe they forgot to put weights in or something...

Has worked fine, we use it 4/5 times a week for all of our bread, occasional pizza doughs or similar. Flour, yeast, water, oil, salt and sugar are fine.

I tend to do roughly half and half wholemeal and white flour, wholemeal only is fine, but can be a bit dense.

Sundried tomatoes are a good addition. Never taken it to asia!
 krikoman 03 Jul 2017
> Are they any good at whole meal?

What like a Sunday roast? I don't think they are very good at that sort of thing.
Post edited at 10:28
 PawelP 03 Jul 2017
In reply to ben b:

I'll second to that.
Got Panasonic SD2501, have been using it on and off for 4 years now, no signs of wear on the teflon-like coating regardless loading it with abrasive seeds and oats quite often.
also works the excellent pizza dough; just find the quality 00 flour around and find the optimal water to flour proportion
 alexm198 03 Jul 2017

I've got an old Morphy Richards one. It's really good, I've never used packaged mix, just chucked in the ingredients and left it overnight for warm bread in the morning! Wholemeal works fine.
 galpinos 03 Jul 2017

Also to the thread in general, I have always just used the oven to make bread. What's the advantage of a breadmaker?
Jim C 03 Jul 2017

Pick one up in a charity shop ( I see them often,m along with foot massagers and gym equipment ) and give one a go, before spending lots of money on a new one.
 Toby_W 03 Jul 2017

We had a Russell hobs, it was good. Died after a few years.

We looked at the reviews and now have a panasonic. Different level, more expensive but much more consistent in results and rise. Well worth the extra money.

Cheers

Toby
 Al_Mac 03 Jul 2017
In reply to galpinos:

Less yeast required (although I do like the taste of a heavily yeasted loaf), better and more consistent rise, more energy efficient. Oh, and about two minutes to make a loaf as the machine does it all and doesn't leave a mess of flour everywhere!
 PawelP 03 Jul 2017
In reply to galpinos:

1) the timer - you put ingridients in the evening, set up the timer so will start baking early in the mornning, you will wake up to the nice aroma of freshly baked bread.
2) I suppose its much more energy efficient, the baking chamber is really tiny and well insulated, much less metal to heat up and less heat escaping away

girlymonkey 03 Jul 2017

I have a Panasonic too. It's not something I would have bought for myself, but my folks got it for us for Christmas a few years ago and we use it loads. The fastest programme is just 2 hours, which I think is pretty good! The recipe book says that is for white bread, but I have done a half and half with pistachio nuts in it and it works fine.
Pistachio nuts are a good addition
The salt and sugar in the recipe are not necessary, works just the same.
 Hooo 03 Jul 2017
In reply to Jim C:

> Pick one up in a charity shop
I wouldn't recommend this, unless you're lucky enough to find a Panasonic. You'll only be disappointed.
Pretty much all other brands are crap compared to Panasonic, which is why people give up on them and donate them to charity shops.
 d_b 03 Jul 2017
In reply to galpinos:

The main advantage is that you can add the ingredients before you go to bed and tell it to have fresh bread ready to turn out of the tin when you get up.

I used to have one. I thought it was quite good, but when it eventually broke down I didn't replace it as I enjoy making bread anyway.
 d_b 03 Jul 2017
In reply to Hooo:

Do Panasonics have decent metal gears?

What eventually killed mine was a nylon cog stripping. Spent a few months trying to find a replacement and eventually gave up.
 Hooo 03 Jul 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

I can only assume they do...
My last machine (Panasonic SD263 IIRC) lasted 10 years and around 2000 loaves before I replaced it. The non-stick was completely useless by then, but it still worked perfectly apart from that.
 LG-Mark 03 Jul 2017

I might be a bit of a bread nazi but i've never found anything made in a bread maker to taste anything like real bread... i wouldn't go so far as to say they are absolute rubbish, but pretty close.
If you really want to bake bread and remove some of the difficulties buy a Kenwood Chef or similar to do the kneading for you. Apart from that baking bread is really very straightforward and once you get a feel for it you can conjure up all kinds of recipes and loaf types.

Remember, all you need to bake bread is flour, yeast, salt and water... after that your limit is your and imagination.
If you want wholemeal, you mix 50/50 (or change to suit) white and wholemeal, or rye flour.
 AllanMac 03 Jul 2017

Has to be Panasonic. Used mine on and off for 14 years. The non-stick is still non-stick. I think Panasonic still make the best machines.

I've always used wholemeal or multiseed flour, using separate ingredients plus the recipe booklet that came with it - so no need to bother with the pre-packaged stuff.

Bear in mind that yeast tends to go off after a few weeks, so the bread doesn't rise like it should. Best to buy yeast in the small sealed packets, rather than a big tub.
 Hooo 03 Jul 2017
In reply to LG-Mark:
> I might be a bit of a bread nazi
A bit!
While hand baked bread is better than a machine, I have nowhere near the time to hand bake every day. I'd rather have fresh machine bread than two day old hand made.
A decent breadmaker loaf is a damn sight better than anything from a supermarket, and cheaper too.

I might be a bit of a breadmaker evangelist
Post edited at 18:50
 HardenClimber 03 Jul 2017

Got an old panasonic.
Use it lots & lots.
Great bit of kit.
Mixer blade leaves a hole in bottom of loaf, but not a great problem.
Non stick beginning too die, but we've had it for ages. have a long thin flexible knife to release it now.

Just buy the separate ingredients.

Is worth having one with a 'dispenser' - lets you do slightly fancier things ....

(and you can mix dough in it for things like Chelsea buns...)
 yorkshireman 03 Jul 2017

We've got a Panasonic breadmaker too but never use it. We basically put on a 'no knead' bread the night before - it's just as quick and tastes much better but there's a little bit of faff in the morning, but definitely worth it.

Chuck in 1.5 cups of plain flour with 1.5 cups of wholemeal. Packet of yeast and some salt. I then chuck in a few seeds (lin, pumpkin and sesame usually) then a load of warm water - mix it up so its a sticky paste.

Cover it and leave it overnight.

In the morning whack the oven on to 235º and put a cast iron pan with a lid inside.

Dust the bread board with flour and scoop out the mixture. Cover it all in flour then drop it in the cast iron pan when its really hot.

Cook with the lid on for 35 mins. Take the lid off and cook for another 10 minutes.

LG-Mark 03 Jul 2017
In reply to Hooo:

It doesn't take significantly longer to hand bake. We don't bake every day, but we have in the past no problem. It's a complete myth that it's remotely hard work or troublesome.

I'll stick with real bread thanks
 Big Ger 03 Jul 2017

Old Panasonic, we only use it for dough making as the paddle rips the arse out of the loaf, we do the actual baking in loaf tins in the oven.
 radddogg 03 Jul 2017

The only problem with bread makers is the size of your waistline after a few weeks of having one.
 Martin W 04 Jul 2017
In reply to LG-Mark:

> It doesn't take significantly longer to hand bake.

The elapsed time may be similar, but the amount of time you have to spend actually engaged in the process is vastly less with a breadmaker - like Cloverleaf says, two minutes measuring the ingredients into the baking tin and you're done. You spend longer than that kneading dough by hand (not to mention the clearing up afterwards - personally, I find unrestrained flour just about the most annoying stuff to have to clear up). If you prefer kneading dough to other things you could be doing then fine, but it's nonsense to try to argue that a breadmaker isn't a labour-saving device.

As Hooo says, breadmaker bread is better than anything you can buy ready-baked at the supermarket, and generally works out cheaper (yes, I did the sums). Handmade bread may well be better still (although I have been served some pretty ropey hand-made bread in my time) but that's the trade-off: that next step up in quality needs significantly more effort. Different people have different quality thresholds, so the law of diminishing returns takes over at different points on the curve for different folks.
 Ridge 04 Jul 2017

Another vote for Panasonic. I don't always use it for the whole process, tend to use the dough setting to take care of the messy donkey work, then finish the loaves by hand.
llechwedd 04 Jul 2017
In reply to Ridge:

Panasonic SD 253 used all the time, over last 15 years. We've rarely bought shop bread.
in that time, the only part replaced has been a plastic drive wheel under the pan. The on/off bit of the control panel has been pressed thousands of times and now the whole panel dishes in when pressed, but it still works. Also, the seed dispenser trapdoor catch has failed so is now wired shut .

Fantastic bit of equipment.

A tip, don't waste money on expensive sachets of yeast for this . Buy this sort of thing and keep it in the fridge, much cheaper- enough for months of loaves.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Levure-Active-Dried-Yeast-500g/dp/B008MH6FQQ/ref=p...

Also, a pinch of vitamin C powder ( in a bottle from e.g. Holland and Barrett) really gets the bread risen.
Living in an old cottage, to get consistently good loaves, we put the measured flour in the microwave on defrost for 2 minutes, and use lukewarm water for the mix. Might be belt and braces, but never a dud loaf.
 SenzuBean 04 Jul 2017
In reply to radddogg:

> The only problem with bread makers is the size of your waistline after a few weeks of having one.

Oh dear, that's me out then :/
 jonnie3430 04 Jul 2017

Lakeland bread maker was top of the which best buys when I was given one for Christmas 3 or 4 years ago. Brilliant but of kit.
 jkarran 04 Jul 2017

Bread is best made slowly with your hands, the extra fermentation time adds complexity and kneading dough is brilliant rehab for climber hands.
Jk
 LG-Mark 05 Jul 2017
In reply to Martin W:

> The elapsed time may be similar, but the amount of time you have to spend actually engaged in the process is vastly less with a breadmaker - like Cloverleaf says, two minutes measuring the ingredients into the baking tin and you're done. You spend longer than that kneading dough by hand (not to mention the clearing up afterwards - personally, I find unrestrained flour just about the most annoying stuff to have to clear up). If you prefer kneading dough to other things you could be doing then fine, but it's nonsense to try to argue that a breadmaker isn't a labour-saving device.

Can't believe I'm arguing the point but it really gets to me when people don't read your posts properly
If you had read my original post, I recommend a mixer to do the work for you (kneading) There is then only one extra step and that's only if you rise your dough twice.... most mixers will rise only once. There is no proving step.

And something is only a labour-saving device if it does the job just as well and it's nonsense to say that a breadmaker does just that.

jkarran 05 Jul 2017

I used to hand make bread pretty much daily, it takes maybe 20min of actual work for oven cooked bread (pan/griddle cooking is slow but worthwhile), less if you exclude the clean-up which a breadmaker also needs. Bread makers basically do one thing reasonably well: fast rising, thick crust, tin loaves. I've never really seen the appeal, I wouldn't buy that in a shop.
jk
 jonnie3430 05 Jul 2017
In reply to jkarran:

Thick crust, flakes of rye and barley, seed mix and a 2 to 1 mix of white and country grain flour is my idea of bread heaven! Like mighty white, but better.
 LG-Mark 05 Jul 2017
In reply to jkarran:

I could not agree more!
 arch 05 Jul 2017

Feel free to come back into your topic at any time..........
 radddogg 05 Jul 2017
In reply to arch:

He's in Asia! It takes a long time for those interweb beams to get there!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...