UKC

Extreme Rock ticking for 30 years.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tintinandpip 03 Jul 2017

I climbed Zukator at Tremadog over the weekend only to realise this morning that it is thirty years this month since I completed my first Extreme Rock route, Comes the Dervish.( I think the book was published in January '87) I have had a very quick tot up this morning and calcualted that I have done 120 of the 180 routes a somewhat disappointing 66.6%, after 30 years !! I can say with great confidence that I will not complete the list as I have all but one of the E7's left to do and I don't expect to do Revelations any time soon. I have thoroughly enjoyed most of them but honestly can't pick a favourite.
How is everyone else doing with the list ?
Post edited at 11:46
 Wft 03 Jul 2017
In reply to tintinandpip:

I think James Mchaffie only has a few left
 jon 03 Jul 2017

Hmmm, a disappointing 82 for me, but it is 28 years since I did my last one
 stp 03 Jul 2017

Not even got a copy of the book yet. I wouldn't have minded one as there are a couple of pics of me in there I believe. But with an absurd price tag of £226 on Amazon I think I'll just have to wait a bit longer.
 Tyler 03 Jul 2017
I did my first, Left Wall, in Oct '88 but I had dogged my way up (part or all of it) the year before. The last one I did was Dominatrix last year. Disappointingly, according to UKC logbook, I've only done 49 with three more dogged. There's still some low hanging fruit for me to go at.....

Just done some more analysis, 9 in the last 20 years and 2 in the last ten years so at this rate of decline I'll be lucky to do any in the next ten years!
Post edited at 12:57
 Tyler 03 Jul 2017
In reply to stp:

> Not even got a copy of the book yet.
There's a list of the routes here:
https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=27
 salancaster 03 Jul 2017

29 years in for me, Easter island was my first to Lubyanka the other weekend. About 50 in and plenty of reasonable ones to go at. Scotland a barren hunting ground unfortunately. Geoff is very close to 100 - he'll get there no doubt.

Stuart
 Fruit 03 Jul 2017

Well, with 2 in 30 years it isn't looking good
 stp 03 Jul 2017
In reply to Tyler:

Thanks. Interesting list. I'm amazed how many there are.

I think I've done about 48 though I might have forgotten the odd one here or there. Also did The Promised Land with an aid point at E2 5c so not sure if that one still counts - but that was how it was done back in the day. Brilliant route too.

Done absolutely nothing in the Lakes or Scotland.
 Rick Graham 03 Jul 2017

Over 40 years for me, Andy, easier when you are a GOM.

First in April 77, Winking Crack.

Will have an add up later, the microwave will beep soon.
 rocksol 03 Jul 2017
I've done quite a lot I'll check the list I also wrote 2 of the essays
 rocksol 03 Jul 2017

Just checked 89 only 1 in Scotland and not many in SW Did 2 on grit a few weeks ago as first trad in years Definately up for more
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 03 Jul 2017

91 for me but the last one was years ago - can't see me doing many/any more

Chris

120 is a good haul!

Comes the Dervish was my first Extreme Rock route too, although I did it back in 2005, which makes 12 years of effort. I'm on 110 currently, with the most obvious omissions in Scotland (unsurprisingly) and the Lakes (more surprisingly).

What with Caff getting ever-closer to achieving what I'd previously thought unachievable I reckon there's an article (or maybe even a digital feature) to be written about the book. For me it's provided a firm direction as to where to go and what to do (even though I never actually thought I'd tick it!), it's taken me all over the UK to places I might otherwise not have gone.

Rick Graham 04 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> 120 is a good haul!

Understandable if you have seen him climbing
 jon 04 Jul 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

Has the microwave bleeped yet...?
 Rick Graham 04 Jul 2017
In reply to jon:

> Has the microwave bleeped yet...?

Yes, and the meal is probably now on its way down the Crake after going through Coniston WWTW.

Mid 70's for me.
baron 04 Jul 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:
How many would he have if beer hadn't been invented?
 jon 04 Jul 2017

> I climbed Zukator at Tremadog over the weekend...

Funny how threads seem to overlap (https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=666990) I climbed Zukator free (on my first time in 1976, Big Jim and I used aid) with Henry Folkard on the 22 March 80. I topped out at the exact moment that Ron topped out on Strawberries - as I pulled on to the summit there was an enormous cheer from a crowd down on the road. I felt quite pleased for a split second... till I realised it wasn't for me!

Mark Stevenson 04 Jul 2017
> How is everyone else doing with the list ?

Badly.

12 in 14 years

Looks like I need to get a ticklist sorted for next month...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...