UKC

Unexpected pleasures

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JEF 03 Jul 2017
I went for a ride on Saturday. I was never particularly far from home but followed NCN12.
By chance I decided to look at the church in the village of Steeple Gidding. What I found was a quiet, sunny spot, with a bench and views across the farmland.
It was great.
Anyone else found unexpected beauty spots near home?
 ThunderCat 03 Jul 2017
In reply to JEF:

Just moved close to Dovestones Reservoir in Greenfield. Walked a bit off the path and found myself on (what I think is) the edge of Saddleworth moor. Utterly desolate and person-less. Beautiful. Would have explored further but fell into a peat bog and had to head back but first free weekend (this one coming up) I'm back out there.

Might take a long ground-pokin' stick this time...
 wilkesley 04 Jul 2017
In reply to JEF:

Found a similar Church in an idyllic spot at Whitewell, near Whitchurch (Salop), a while ago. There are lots of similar spots in the Shropshire countryside e.g. the mere at Hanmer, which has a shop selling home made butties and cakes next to it.
 richprideaux 04 Jul 2017
In reply to wilkesley:

> Found a similar Church in an idyllic spot at Whitewell, near Whitchurch (Salop), a while ago. There are lots of similar spots in the Shropshire countryside e.g. the mere at Hanmer, which has a shop selling home made butties and cakes next to it.

I used to live less than a mile from there. If you're passing again Iscoyd Park is worth a look too.
 wilkesley 04 Jul 2017
In reply to richprideaux:

Thanks, I'll have a look at Isycoyd next time I go that way. I discovered the Church when I was working out a circular route from home that avoided cycling along the A525 and A495.
 richprideaux 04 Jul 2017
In reply to wilkesley:

There's a barrow/burial mound in the big field behind the church too. The stand of Scots Pines near the row of cottages.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...