UKC

Last minute holiday - any suggestions? Eastern Europe?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jock 04 Jul 2017
Looking for inspiration, folks!
Looking for a week away starting this weekend, flying from Man/Liverpool. Anything considered within 4/5 hours flight time, not too hot (sorta 32degrees max), not a hardcore trip - ie some nice walks, hut to hut would be good, don't want to carry camping kit. Both of us fairly fit, Mrs Jock's dodgy knee can't manage multiple big days.
Not really thinking about climbing this trip, but VF would be a bonus. Just fancy something different to France/alps - vaguely drawn to the unknown of Central/Eastern Europe but open to anything.
What do you suggest, UKC massive?
Rigid Raider 04 Jul 2017
In reply to Jock:

Walking and kayaking in Sweden?
 d_b 04 Jul 2017
In reply to Jock:

Slovenia ticks most of those boxes. Good hut to hut walking, good food, some VF although it's mainly the high level/mountain type.
 Toerag 04 Jul 2017
In reply to Jock:

Slovenia ticks boxes but be warned that the lift infrastructure is virtually non-existent so there's a lot of height gain necessary to do the VFs and high walking - your missus' knees may not like it.
Have you done German / north Austrian alps?
OP Jock 04 Jul 2017
In reply to Jock:

Thanks for replies folks. Sweden a good call, but have been and fancy somewhere totally new. Slovenia has always appealed, lift info good to know. Germany/Austria both unknown to me - any specific areas?
Removed User 04 Jul 2017
In reply to Toerag:
> Slovenia ticks boxes but be warned that the lift infrastructure is virtually non-existent so there's a lot of height gain necessary to do the VFs and high walking - your missus' knees may not like it.

Slovenia has VF outside the Julian Alps. Nanos in the Vipava Valley has some enjoyable VF that require very little height gain from the road.
Post edited at 17:42
 d_b 04 Jul 2017
In reply to Removed UserFuchs:

Do you know where I can find more information about these? I'm going there in september, and the low level VF wasn't on my radar at all.
Removed User 04 Jul 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:
I just know that there are several in the Vipava Valley - the one we did was called 'Gradiska Tura', very close to Gradiš?e pri Vipavi. Most information online seems to be in Slovenian, so I can't help much, as I had a personal Slovenian 'guide'
Post edited at 18:10
 KA 04 Jul 2017
In reply to Jock:

Not quite Central or Eastern Europe, but what about the Spanish Pyrenees or Picos de Europa? Excellent mountaineering and trekking in both areas, both day trips and hut to hut itineraries possible.
 SenzuBean 04 Jul 2017
In reply to Jock:

Polish or Slovak Tatras!

Polish side is very accessible, tons of great mountain walks, great food. Zakopane is the best place to stay, quick to access from Krakow. Huts are all over and hut to hut is very popular. Orla Perc can be done as a VF, although it's safe enough most people aid bits using the chains. Almost all of the chains can be ignored, but about 3 ladders are mandatory (unless you think you could downclimb E7 with a death drop!). Some of the areas can be very popular in summer, not sure if that's a problem.

Slovak side I've heard is similar, but more remote/rustic, so would be better for a quiet holiday.
womblingfree 05 Jul 2017
In reply to Jock:

Romania, Carpathians. Plenty of day and hut to hut options at the 2000-3000m mark and a sense of being off the beaten track. Huts are cheap cheap too and the delights of Bucharest await you for some city time
OP Jock 05 Jul 2017
In reply to Jock:

All great suggestions folks - many thanks! Tatras and Carpathians definitely appealing. Might have blown it for cheap flights though at this last minute...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...