UKC

Day and night security guards at Bosigran?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 natetan 04 Jul 2017
There are a bunch of beefy security guards from coast-2-coast security at the entry to Bosigran to stop people walking down a path due to rock fall (no visible rock fall, and one guy had no idea why he was there). Also a sign / bit of tape usually works.

Anyone else know what these guys are there for? There are like 7 of them camped out on shifts
OP natetan 04 Jul 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Ah! That'll be it. Probably don't tell you why so you don't try to get on TV
 mbh 04 Jul 2017
In reply to natetan:

That's really not on, if they are with the film thing from the other thread. It's not my crag, it's not yours and it certainly isn't theirs. Politely asking people to leave it to them between reasonable fixed times is one thing, but putting up guards is quite another. In the spirit of the original request, they can put up signs in which they politely explain what they are doing and why they would like the place to themselves for a fixed, reasonable time, but no more.
OP natetan 04 Jul 2017
In reply to mbh:

They didn't stop us going to bosi.. but still odd. No sign of filming either on the ridge.
 Howard J 05 Jul 2017
In reply to mbh:

The film company will almost certainly have obtained permission from the landowner (and will probably have paid a fee) so it is 'theirs', at least temporarily. That doesn't necessarily give them the right to exclude others from what is open access land under CRoW.

There are provisions which allow temporary closure of CRoW land, but according to government guidelines risks to public safety from natural features isn't a valid reason. The guards are possibly acting unlawfully if they are turning people away for this reason, whereas if they were to say it is because of filming it would perhaps be OK.
 Simon Caldwell 05 Jul 2017
In reply to Howard J:

Temporary closures would be shown on http://www.openaccess.naturalengland.org.uk - there is nothing there for this week, so open access applies.
OP natetan 05 Jul 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Ah they did this morning. No access to main wall until 12.

Apparently it is Bear Grylls...doing a spot of abseiling with some celeb... if anyone can pretend something fairly mundane is hardcore it's that guy.
 Big Ger 06 Jul 2017
In reply to natetan:

> Ah they did this morning. No access to main wall until 12.

> Apparently it is Bear Grylls...doing a spot of abseiling with some celeb... if anyone can pretend something fairly mundane is hardcore it's that guy.

It's not easy abbing while drinking your own piss.
 pebbles 06 Jul 2017
In reply to natetan:
"I'm literally hanging from just a rope, using only a harness, an ab rope, a belay device and a prussic! I'm literally hundreds of metres from the nearest ice cream van, and if it all goes wrong theres nobody but the camera crew and the safety team to rescue us! At the bottom I'll probably get a helicopter to come and lift us out, to make it look more dramatic"
Post edited at 08:43
 GrahamD 06 Jul 2017
In reply to pebbles:

> "I'm literally hanging from just a rope, using only a harness, an ab rope, a belay device and a prussic! I'm literally hundreds of metres from the nearest ice cream van, and if it all goes wrong theres nobody but the camera crew and the safety team to rescue us! At the bottom I'll probably get a helicopter to come and lift us out, to make it look more dramatic"

Not to mention a queue of pissed off climbers
 Mike Highbury 06 Jul 2017
In reply to Big Ger:
> It's not easy abbing while drinking your own piss.

That's not what you said last time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...