UKC

Rangers' return to the big time continues... oh.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Progres Niederkorn 2-0 Rangers (agg 2-1)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40475647

The Gers go out to Luxembourgs finest. Except they're not even that- they haven't won any silverware even in Luxembourg since 1981.

From progres' wiki page:

The club has only won one tie in European competition, (2-1 aggregate) against The Rangers FC (Tribute Act) in the 2017-18 Europa League First Qualifying Round. After the win, football fans across the globe flocked to social media in their thousands to thank Progres for ridding the European competition of the huns

Is this the worst result by a British team in European competition, ever....?
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Are the Scottish FA culpable ? Should things have been handled differently a few years ago to the benefit of Scottish football ? I'd be interested to know the opinions of people that know better than me.
 lummox 05 Jul 2017
In reply to I like climbing:

> Are the Scottish FA culpable ? For Rangers financial wrongdoings ?
In reply to I like climbing:

As lummox says, the fault lay with rangers. The SFA had no choice if they wanted to maintain the integrity of the league, as far as I can see.

Only 9 years ago rangers were in the UEFA cup final. What a long way to fall...
 GrahamD 05 Jul 2017

> Is this the worst result by a British team in European competition, ever....?

Apart from Ingurland last year you mean ?
 IM 05 Jul 2017

> Is this the worst result by a British team in European competition, ever....?

Probably. Progrès Niederkorn had played 6 previous ties in Europe and scored one goal, the aggregate score of all their previous ties was 1-40.

In reply to GrahamD:

> Apart from Ingurland last year you mean ?

oh no; humiliating as that abject exercise in underachievement was, iceland are a decent side, and are ranked above holland and sweden at present

this is much worse. even being in the 1st round of qualifying for the Europa league is bad enough. being dumped out of it by the 4th best side in Europe's 46th best league really is the absolute zero of footballing failure....
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs & lummox

Thanks ! Interesting to hear.

Ciro 05 Jul 2017

Tax case hasn't gone so well either...
 Pids 05 Jul 2017

But remember, they are the people!

Deserve what they got, including today's EBT ruling

My brother spotted this in the Progres wiki page edits section...

On July 4th 2017 in the Europa League qualifiers, Fc Progrès Niederkorn pumped the huns (The Rangers NEWco) 2-1 on aggregate after being 1-0 down at castle gray-skull in the 1st leg but in the 2nd leg found 2 goals in the second half at their home ground making it 2-1 on aggregate at full time, sending the huns home crying as they didn't even last a week in Europe. Le Hunskelpers is the new nickname of FC Progrès Niederkorn as appointed by the Celtic Football Club manager Brendan Invincible Rodgers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...