UKC

One armed climbing near Bristol?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jascott83 05 Jul 2017
I've got a friend who has one hand currently out of action due to a chainsaw incident and is obviously feeling down. He's a novice indoor boulderer (F6a indoors when both hands worked?) with one trip to font so has some idea of real rock.
Any recommendations or advice on taking him sport climbing near Bristol? Thinking wyndcliff quarry or similar, there seems to be a few 3 and 4 routes with sensible height. Get him outside and when top roped we can give a good amount of support (read: pull him up the wall).
 Michael Hood 05 Jul 2017
In reply to jascott83:
Slabs - get him to work on his footwork and balance - when he gets use of his other hand back he'll be a better climber for it.

So near Bristol I guess Portishead is the most obvious - although the slabs are trad.
Post edited at 13:54
 GridNorth 05 Jul 2017
In reply to jascott83:

Hook up with Johnny Dawes he makes a speciality of climbing with no hands.

Al
OP jascott83 05 Jul 2017
Ha, hadn't thought about Johnny Dawes, good point though. And yeah slabs would be good but as you say, a lot of slabs are often trad, he definitely needs to work on his footwork too...
 Mark Kemball 05 Jul 2017
In reply to jascott83:

Fairy Cave Quarry is good for slabs, trad, but there are good belays at the top, so setting up a top rope shouldn't be too difficult (you may need a fairly long rope if you want to belay from the ground though).
 d_b 05 Jul 2017
In reply to Michael Hood:

+1 for portishead.

Some of the trad routes have bolted anchors so it should be easy to set up a top rope.
 gethin_allen 05 Jul 2017
In reply to jascott83:

Kevin Shields is the one to look at for one handed climbing.
 cwarby 05 Jul 2017
In reply to jascott83:

Mr D can often be found lurking at Worcester Redpoint Mondays. Call Will Cox et al for contact.
Chris
pasbury 05 Jul 2017
In reply to jascott83:

Shakemantle Quarry (Ruspidge Slab Quarry)

In the Forest of Dean- there a couple of other shabby venues around here too.
pasbury 06 Jul 2017
In reply to pasbury:

I meant to say 'slabby'
 Timmd 06 Jul 2017
In reply to jascott83:

Do you know how he injured himself, or if he's done the required course(s) for his chainsawing?

Timmd 07 Jul 2017
In reply to jascott83:
Should probably add that I asked out of perturbed concern as another person who uses chainsaws occasionally, in a 'Perhaps it could happen to me' sense. It's always handy to learn if possible from other people's accidents.
Post edited at 00:46
 The Ivanator 07 Jul 2017
In reply to jascott83:

The Secret Slab area at the far right of the upper tier at Wyndcliff Quarry would probably be a good venue to get your mate started post injury. Short, easy and bolted (and actually reasonable climbing too).
 Dave Cundy 07 Jul 2017
In reply to jascott83:

I seconded Clarion, in the Avon Gorge, a week or two ago. I did 99% of it without hands, Johnny Dawes style. As previously observed, it is good for technique. Your mate should be able to second most of it.
 Neil Williams 07 Jul 2017
In reply to jascott83:

When I broke my finger I went to the wall and played around climbing 4s and 4+s with the bad hand behind my back (because whacking it on a hold even accidentally really hurt). It's quite interesting and does breed a lot of respect for paraclimbers. So he probably can climb easy stuff without being hauled up to some extent.

Hope he gets better soon BTW.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...