UKC

Best Chromebook?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hokkyokusei 05 Jul 2017
Hi all,

need a new laptop for home use. I really only surf the net these days so am considering a Chromebook as I reckon battery life/£ will probably be better than a "full fat" laptop.

Anyone have any recommendations?
 1poundSOCKS 05 Jul 2017
In reply to hokkyokusei:

> Anyone have any recommendations?

I thought about a Chromebook, mainly browse, but I like to watch movies and occasionally use Windows apps. I ended up with an Acer Swift 1 Windows 10 laptop.

It has a really great battery life, boots up and shuts down in seconds I think due to having a solid state drive, and you can get one for £280.

Plus you can pick the browser of choice, if you need. I can still use Internet Explorer to watch Sky Go.

I think the main downside compared to a Chromebook are the Windows updates, which do occupy my laptop occasionally.
OP hokkyokusei 05 Jul 2017
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

If I was going to go for a full fat laptop, I'd use Linux, I really don't want windows.
 1poundSOCKS 05 Jul 2017
In reply to hokkyokusei:

> If I was going to go for a full fat laptop, I'd use Linux, I really don't want windows.

Don't mention it.
OP hokkyokusei 05 Jul 2017
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Well thanks, it's just not what I'm after.
I use windows every day at work now, after being a Linux using developer for years.
 jezb1 05 Jul 2017
In reply to hokkyokusei:

I bought an Acer Chromebook after my laptop was nicked in Spain. Worst couple of hundred quid I've ever spent.

If all you want to do is browse the web they're good, but even word processing was an arse. The laptop it replaced was super cheap and I'd put Linux on it, which was so much better. You can put Linux on a Chromebook, but it's a pretty dire version.

The Chromebook now sat on the shelf in virtually mint condition whilst I use my new MacBook...
 girlymonkey 05 Jul 2017
In reply to hokkyokusei:

I have an ASUS chromebook which I use for most things. I love it.

You do have to get used to using onedrive or google docs (I prefer onedrive) if you want to word process, but I'm fine with that.

I paid a bit more to get one with bigger RAM (I think? I'm not very techy, and went on a friend's advice, it might have been something else that I got more of :-S ), but it was still just about £200.

I have had a range of laptops in the past, and none have lasted more than a couple of years. The chromebook is not showing signs of wear or slowing, so I am pleased with it. I have not been impressed with Acer machines which I have had previously, but always find Asus better.
OP hokkyokusei 06 Jul 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:
Thanks, do you have the model number please?
Post edited at 17:27
 girlymonkey 06 Jul 2017
In reply to hokkyokusei:

C300.

It is a couple of years old, so not sure if they same one is still sold
OP hokkyokusei 06 Jul 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

There's still a C300, but it's a bit more expensive by the look of it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...