UKC

Recommendations: learning Spanish and climbing this winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rharrison 05 Jul 2017
I'm in the fortunate position of being able to take a few months off next winter (nov-jan), and would like to make a start in learning a new language. Looking for recommendations of places where I could take a course (i.e. Probably a decent sized town) with access to good climbing (rock, ice, alpine -whatever!). Access to skiing would be a plus, but climbing is essential! Was looking at South America (Huaraz, Peru?) as it's fairly cheap and I've always wanted to go, but fully open to suggestions.
Any input would be greatly appreciated
 Mark Eddy 05 Jul 2017
In reply to Rharrison:

Granada region gives climbing, walking, skiing. Malaga area too (skiing a bit further away).
Further up the coast try Denia and Castellon. Climbing, hiking, sometimes skiing too.
All will have accessible Spanish classes.
OP Rharrison 06 Jul 2017
In reply to Mark Eddy:

Thanks, will look into it!
 SuperLee1985 06 Jul 2017
In reply to Rharrison:

WRT learning Spanish, I've recently started using the duolingo app on Android and think it's really good.
It's completely free, and it breaks the learning down into little bite-size chunks so you can just jump in and out whenever you have a spare 5 minutes.
Also they way it is done feels more like a game, than actually learning so it doesn't feel like a chore.
There are a few downsides, it doesn't really explain the rules of the language (grammar, gender etc), you kind just have to learn those bit by trial and error and remembering the patterns, and it is occasionally buggy (sometimes it won't accept a perfectly correct translation). But it think it's a good starting point and would definitely compliment some more formal learning.
OP Rharrison 06 Jul 2017
In reply to SuperLee1985:

Yep I was thinking to start something like that before I go, just so I'm not starting from absolute zero. Cheers.

Anyone spent any time in Bariloche (Argentina)?
 poeter210 07 Jul 2017
In reply to Rharrison:
I know someone from Patagonia who always raves about this place:

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/piedra-parada/108526535

Never checked to see where it was but looks like its close to Bariloche. It's also near Esquel, I'm fairly sure when I was down there I met someone on his gap year who was doing some sort of placement there to practice his Spanish. Not been to Bariloche and northern Patagonia (spent some time in the south around Fitzroy) but would highly recommend the region even if not for climbing and learning spanish!
Post edited at 11:07
 zv 07 Jul 2017
In reply to Rharrison:

Taragonna is a fantastic place by the sea in proximity for regular trips to Siurana, Margalef and other world class sport.

I'd go there and then book myself onto a course at Instituto Cervantes who are doing a stellar job at delivering fantastic courses at all levels.

Mucha suerte!
OP Rharrison 07 Jul 2017
In reply to poeter210 and zmv:

Thanks for the info

Bump

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...