UKC

Ant killer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thermal_t 05 Jul 2017
Just been out into the garden and we seem to have developed an ant infestation of epic proportions. The long term fix will be to repoint the patio in which they are dwelling, but they are going to have to go before that. My concern with normal ant killer is around pets, I don't have any of my own, but a couple of cats frequent my garden, one of which I am particularly fond of! I don't really want to kill off the local moggies, is ant powder likely to be lapped up? Are there any cat friendly solutions?
 Trangia 05 Jul 2017
In reply to thermal_t:

Why should you want to kill the ants ?

Are the ants attacking you? Are you in any danger from them?
OP thermal_t 05 Jul 2017
In reply to Trangia:
Okay... My life is no imminent danger from them. But they are getting through a gap in the doorframe and the flying variety are making it generally unpleasant being out there. The piles of grit all over the patio are also indicating that I'll have a fair few rocking slabs on my hands at this rate.
Post edited at 19:08
 balmybaldwin 05 Jul 2017
In reply to thermal_t:

Flying ants will be gone in a day or 2.

Nippon used to do a gel that you put in a covered petridish type thing with slots in it so ants can get it but nothing else can - supposedly they take it back to their nest
http://www.mytoolshed.co.uk/p27712/Vitax_Ant_Control_System_two_Traps/produ...
 Phil1919 05 Jul 2017
In reply to thermal_t:

Yes its one of the wonders of the world that they all fly and mate on about the same day. Then they are gone.
 LakesWinter 05 Jul 2017
In reply to thermal_t:
try an anteater?
www.rentananteater.com

Post edited at 19:19
 Trangia 05 Jul 2017
In reply to thermal_t:

> Okay... My life is no imminent danger from them. But they are getting through a gap in the doorframe and the flying variety are making it generally unpleasant being out there. The piles of grit all over the patio are also indicating that I'll have a fair few rocking slabs on my hands at this rate.

Sorry but I think that as a society we get too precious about this sort of thing. Have you considered that your house and your patio has been built over their habitat? The "flying variety" are actually the same species which are just mating, and as someone has said they will be gone in a day or two.

There is far too much tendency to rush and kill/destroy creatures which might look inconvenient in our eyes but actually do us little if any harm. We need to learn to live in harmony with them, not destroy them.

If they were harmful - eg a hornet's nest right by your house, then it might be a different matter, but we need to be tolerant when living alongside harmless natural things.
 gethin_allen 05 Jul 2017
In reply to thermal_t:

What's wrong with boiling the kettle?
 wbo 05 Jul 2017
In reply to thermal_t: Petrol and a match. Somebody I knew tried this in his student halls and burnt a corner off the building

krikoman 05 Jul 2017
In reply to thermal_t:

If you spray some dilute bleach around the area where they are getting in, they won't "smell" where the others have been and viola not ant shall enter!!

No need to kill them really.

It's flying any day here to, they are a good food source for other wildlife, and will be gone within a few days.
 krikoman 05 Jul 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Have a like.
 GrahamD 05 Jul 2017
In reply to thermal_t:

I use normal ant killer on my patio and lawn and it works where you put it although it seems like a constant battle ! I have 3 cats and they show no interest in the stuff
 GrahamD 06 Jul 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Harmless is relative. They have destroyed large sections of lawn and undermined our patio. They are so numerous I'm just accepting damage limitation here. I'm not getting over sentimental about killing a few
 Lizziecc 06 Jul 2017
In reply to thermal_t:

Not sure how effective it would be outdoors but have you tried peppermint oil? I had a problem with ants in my hallway and smearing the oil around all the cracks stopped them very quickly...they hate the smell apparently. Better than horrible poisons and makes everywhere smell minty fresh!
 Fruit 06 Jul 2017
In reply to thermal_t:

Nematodes, freaks me out a bit but they work.

https://www.greengardener.co.uk/product.asp?id_pc=12&cat=23
 Pilo 06 Jul 2017
In reply to thermal_t:

You should put a small handful of sugar down for them. They will respect you and won't make any trouble.
 krikoman 07 Jul 2017
In reply to krikoman:
Thanks, interesting that I got three Dislikes for giving you a like
Post edited at 09:21
 Trangia 07 Jul 2017
In reply to krikoman:
Yeah, you were treading on dangerous ground there because it means I must have at least 3 dislike stalkers, and you were insolent enough in their eyes to cross to my side of the playground
Post edited at 09:31
In reply to krikoman:

> Thanks, interesting that I got three Dislikes for giving you a like

I think it's a rule, that some people have, that no mention of Likes or Dislikes can be allowed to go un-disliked.
 krikoman 07 Jul 2017
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Ha ha you appear to be right, although the first dislike was an ironic one from me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...