UKC

The Push

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I have just finished reading 'The Push' by Tommy Caldwell and can thoroughly recommend it as a good read. I saw him talk at Kendal 2015 and thought he was excellent so I was really looking forward to the book.
He is not an established writer but the book has a good strong thread and he tells the story of how he came to be obsessed with the Dawn Wall project well. My only reservation is that the actual ascent fills only the last 40 pages. I would like to have learnt more about many aspects of the ascent, the logistics, sponsorship, media involvement and even the technical aspects of the climbing are rather sketchy.
I think it would have been really interesting to hear how Kevin Jorgesen saw events as well as Tommy's family and other climbers like Alex Honnold and even his ex Beth Rodden.
Nevertheless it is a great story and certainly made me feel more impressed by it than I was at the time.
Love to hear other people's thoughts.
 Co1in H 05 Jul 2017
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:
It should certainly make the BT shortlist.
In reply to Co1in H:
It certainly deserves it.
 SuperLee1985 06 Jul 2017

Just started reading it (got a copy through his talk in London at the weekend), it seems really good so far. The relationship with his father is quite remarkable, I would love to have had such a strong positive influence in my younger life.
 climbEdclimb 23 Jul 2017

I just finished it today! Excellent book.
In case you were interested, Tommy mentions an interview with Alex 'Honnlove' Honnald and a news reporter and taking Fitz up the wall in a backpack. I found it, its worth a watch: http://abc7news.com/travel/fellow-climber-attests-to-difficulty-of-el-capit...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...