UKC

Recommend me a sleeping bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SteveJC94 06 Jul 2017
Hi guys

I'm in the market for a new sleeping bag to use for alpine climbing trips to Chamonix in March-April time. Mostly to be used bivvying at around 2,500-3,000m before climbing big north faces and if used during the depths of winter, I'll be in the winter rooms of huts. For open bivvys I'll always be taking a bivvy bag, exped synmat and a belay jacket to boost warmth. Obviously light weight and low pack size are key priorities.
A couple of years ago I took a PHD Hispar 600 to Greenland and it was brilliant so I'd happily fork out the cash for a PHD bag. So far I'm torn between the Hispar 400 and 500 but I'm not sure if the 400 is warm enough, or the Rab infinity 500. I wouldn't say I'm a particularly cold or warm sleeper.
Open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance and apologies for writing an essay,
Steve
 Siward 08 Jul 2017
In reply to SteveJC94:

Presumably you no longer have your Hispar 600? I'd take that.
 TobyA 08 Jul 2017
In reply to SteveJC94:

If you are budgeting at around 500 quid which is around what the PHD ones seem to cost, you have a lot of options for some brilliant bags. PHD don't use the CE rating system so its hard to compare their bags' warmth to I think all other brands now, beyond extrapolating from fill power and weight. I still regularly use this bag: https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3605 and I know it's warm to -9, same as the guide figure for the Hispar 400. Marmot have taken them out of the range now but I noticed the Climber's Shop are still selling them at a reduced price - 330, then you've got 150 spare to spend on lift passes! I would also definitely look at Mountain Equipment's bags too - I reviewed one of their alpine range ones a few years ago and it is superb - https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=5328 many of the features are clearly designed with bivvying climbers in mind. ME have changed their range a bit since but I'm sure those features (water resistance around feet and head inside) are still there in some models.
OP SteveJC94 08 Jul 2017
In reply to Siward:

It was on loan for the expedition so it's not available to me anymore
OP SteveJC94 08 Jul 2017
In reply to TobyA:

That's great thanks, I'll be sure to check them out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...