UKC

Shoulder Surgery Rehab

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Looking for some help.....
I've very recently undergone Acute Subacromial Decompression Surgery on my left shoulder following several years of struggling with Shoulder Impingement Syndrome. I'd tried all sorts of 'conservative treatments' (physio, yoga, injections etc) all to no avail so I went under the knife.
Now, I'm aware that the road to full recovery following this surgery is a long one (8-12 months in some cases) but i wondered if anybody had any advice on stuff to do in the mean time? Personally I'm thinking things like weighted pinches, finger strength stuff and lots of core and leg work. If anybody can help I'd love to hear it.
Thanks in advance.
 ewanjp 07 Jul 2017
In reply to Private Flounder:

I had it done a couple of years ago - via keyhole. I was climbing again within 3 months. The most important thing is to keep on top of the physio - I did mine religiously - and still use a rubber band every night before I go to bed. After the first month I did a bit of running and after about three weeks I was ok to do turbo training on my bike (which is the dullest thing imaginable).
In reply to ewanjp:

Thanks for the reply.
3 MONTHS!! That's incredible. If you don't mind me asking, was your surgery for the same reason as mine?
What's turbo training? Is it like spin?
 ewanjp 07 Jul 2017
In reply to Private Flounder:
Yours may be worse - basically they went in via key hole on the side and at the back and shaved off some bone that was impinging on my ligaments / tendons. Was yours key hole?

I'd had problems for a few years, largely brought on by climbing, although I did tear my rotor cuff mtbing which apparently contributed to the situation. I'd tried physio but not injections - I was referred to a surgeon on my work health insurance... and being a surgeon, under the knife I went!

As I say, the recovery has been good, tho I'm still 'aware' of it esp if I don't do my exercises. I do have full strength now and I don't have the problem which drove me to surgery - being able to do a couple of climbs before loosing all strength and being in pain in the shoulder.

Edit: turbo training is like spinning, except instead of a spinning bike you attach your normal bike to it. Very dull, but you don't need to use your arms.
Post edited at 13:45
In reply to ewanjp:

Sounds virtually identical...same procedure for the same reason with the same symptoms pre-op!
It's encouraging to hear your story. Thanks for sharing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...