UKC

Are you a fan of Rupert Murdoch?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ice Doctor 07 Jul 2017
If not. Do something.
 Lemony 07 Jul 2017
In reply to The Ice Doctor:

*Does something*

Did that help?
 Stichtplate 07 Jul 2017

I'd rather not. I'm sat on my arse, still waiting for my UBI to come in.

Andy Hardy 07 Jul 2017

I shall write a strongly worded letter to the times. That'll show him.

You're playing into Big Ger's hands with a thread like this
Post edited at 14:16
 coolhand 07 Jul 2017
I am actively not buying any of his papers or satellite transmitted pish.

Hence I am doing nothing and something at the same time.

andyfallsoff 07 Jul 2017

Not that I have done it (although I should, because I think it is worthwhile) but one thing that anyone who isn't a fan could potentially do would be to write to the competition authorities who are looking into his proposed takeover of Sky.
In reply to andyfallsoff:
Well how about this:

Join 38 Degrees and try fighting back.

https://speakout.38degrees.org.uk/campaigns/2365?utm_source=facebook&utm_me...
Post edited at 15:20
 Timmd 07 Jul 2017

> Well how about this:

> Join 38 Degrees and try fighting back.

Indeed, and other forms of making a fuss one can find, too.

Shani 07 Jul 2017
In reply to coolhand:
> I am actively not buying any of his papers or satellite transmitted pish.

> Hence I am doing nothing and something at the same time.

Some people use Kodi to watch his paid-for TV channels for free - and thus, hit him financially. The cheek of it!
Post edited at 15:39
 GrahamD 07 Jul 2017

I'm proactively not buying his 'news' papers or subscribing to his entertainment channels
 Timmd 07 Jul 2017
In reply to GrahamD:
> I'm proactively not buying his 'news' papers or subscribing to his entertainment channels

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/proactive

I think you might be technically incorrect? I looked up the definition more out of interest than to score a point.
Post edited at 15:56
 Murderous_Crow 07 Jul 2017
In reply to Shani:

It's almost impossible to consume popular TV or film media through orthodox channels and not give money to Murdoch's enterprises.

But the conversation is important, and concerns the extension of his already considerable power to influence the fabric of public discourse.

Petitioning via 38 Degrees and the like is certainly helpful. I'd add that you can express your concerns directly to your MP quite easily too. It only takes a few minutes:

https://www.writetothem.com/
 Shani 07 Jul 2017
In reply to Murderous_Crow:

> It's almost impossible to consume popular TV or film media through orthodox channels and not give money to Murdoch's enterprises.

> But the conversation is important, and concerns the extension of his already considerable power to influence the fabric of public discourse.

> Petitioning via 38 Degrees and the like is certainly helpful. I'd add that you can express your concerns directly to your MP quite easily too. It only takes a few minutes:

Yep, i am already on it. Lack of plurality in the media is deeply concerning to me.
 GrahamD 07 Jul 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> I think you might be technically incorrect? I looked up the definition more out of interest than to score a point.

Your Irony meter needs a slight re-calibration methinks.
Lusk 07 Jul 2017

The only way to hurt people like him, is hitting their wallet.
You get someone like Anonymous to hack and totally trash his computer systems, do it right, and it could potentially cost him Billions.
 Jack 07 Jul 2017

Read 'Dial M for Murdoch' to get really annoyed about him first.
 Murderous_Crow 07 Jul 2017
In reply to Shani:

Sorry Shani, re-reading my post it looks like I'm commenting directly at you. The latter bit was intended for anyone reading; the first as a corroboration or note to your point.
 Timmd 07 Jul 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

> Your Irony meter needs a slight re-calibration methinks.

English irony meets the written word, no chance of confusion there.
 Shani 07 Jul 2017
In reply to Murderous_Crow:

> Sorry Shani, re-reading my post it looks like I'm commenting directly at you. The latter bit was intended for anyone reading; the first as a corroboration or note to your point.

All good. It's a worthy cause!
 Big Ger 08 Jul 2017

I'm a big fan!! Everyday I spend some time worshipping a photo of him...

All hail the mighty Rupe!!
 Big Ger 08 Jul 2017

> Well how about this:

> Join 38 Degrees and try fighting back.

Oh bless! Oh, I'm so sorry, you really are genuine in this aren't you?

You really believe that signing 38 "give us some money" petitions is "doing something", don't you?

Big Ger 08 Jul 2017
In reply to Shani:

> Some people use Kodi to watch his paid-for TV channels for free - and thus, hit him financially. The cheek of it!

Stealing something that way does not in any way "hit him financially".

Unless you really would buy that carp if you couldn't steal it.
 Timmd 08 Jul 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> You really believe that signing 38 "give us some money"...

You what?
 Big Ger 08 Jul 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Have you not seen the begging screen you get after signing a petition there?

Can you chip in?
Thousands of us from across the UK have already chipped in to help fund the 38 Degrees website and the staff team who help people win their campaigns.

Will you chip in to make sure we can move fast to support the Major development in Worthing threatens long established fox family- Please help us protect them! petition and others like it? You can make a secure donation here:
 summo 08 Jul 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> You what?

I'm sure a few of 38degrees are worthy causes, but much of what they put out on the environment etc.. has no scientific or factual basis, they just came across as a bunch of ranting anti capitalist tree huggers. So I've blocked/unsubscribed their emails, feeds etc..

Even if 1 million signed some online anti murdoch thing, it would change nothing. You can sign an online petition in seconds, their protest value is just above zero. A million individual letters or office visits to mps across the country, that would change something.
 nufkin 08 Jul 2017

Where should we stand on rooting for Team Sky? Does watching on ITV4 cancel out any pro-Murdoch connotations?
 Brass Nipples 08 Jul 2017

I thought he was good in the A Team
 Big Ger 09 Jul 2017
In reply to summo:

Agreed, this puts it well;

And if I feel strongly enough about a turtle or the NHS or the plight of children in the developing world, I’m going to take the time to compose a personal message that is more likely to be heard and send it to someone who is more likely to listen. Or even better, find organisations that do real work in these areas and donate my time or money directly. You know, actually do something.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/dec/30/unsubscribe-avaaz-cha...
 bouldery bits 09 Jul 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> Oh bless! Oh, I'm so sorry, you really are genuine in this aren't you?

> You really believe that signing 38 "give us some money" petitions is "doing something", don't you?

Agreed.
I have asked them to stop emailing me and they won't. I signed 1 thing years ago (about not selling off woodland) and they just won't leave me alone.

Maybe I should start a 38 degrees petition to get them to stop emailing me?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...