UKC

Recommend a Water resistant camera giving decent quality pics?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Any ideas?
Used to have a Nikon AW100

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-COOLPIX-Compact-Digital-Camera/dp/B00TFLQ3YM...

I don't really need waterproof but would like it to be able to survive getting wet from rain and be fairly tough.
Removed User 07 Jul 2017
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Are you looking for a compact, or ILC? Most Pentax DSLRs are weather-sealed, e.g. a K30 would give great image quality (certainly better than any compact) and be sealed. Larger and bulkier though, of course.
 craig h 08 Jul 2017

I've just been researching this myself as I'm off sea kayaking. A fair few to chose from depending in what you want it to do and your budget.

Think I've settled on the Olympus Tough TG4 for £299 as it also takes raw files as well as jpegs, the Olympus Tough TG5 also ticks all my boxes, but at £399 I find it hard to justify as I have a great compact and DSLR.
 Roberttaylor 08 Jul 2017

At the risk of stating the obvious, have a look at the W300 (newest version) and the AW120/AW130.

I had the AW130, loved it, but it broke in the end. Which is fair enough, given that it fell about 200m onto a rock ledge.

I found an AW120 for £50 on ebay, it'll accept the same spare batteries I had for the AW130.

Robert
 The Lemming 08 Jul 2017

My Panasonic GH4 and lenses are weatherproof and can stand getting wet from the rain. Its got a magnesium body as well.

Its quite a bit bigger than your camera though but I am more than impressed with the image quality of my snaps.

Mark Kemball 08 Jul 2017

I'm very happy with my Olympus Tough.
 Welsh Kate 08 Jul 2017
In reply to craig h:

I got the Olympus Tough TG4 last year - very happy with it, does RAW files as well as jpegs, loads of options on the programmes, and mine is completely waterproof - I've taken it into rivers, snapping photos as I've floated down the current, and on a kayak. It's well made, nice and compact. I have no worries about immersing it completely, and don't have to treat it with kid gloves. Tough by name, tough by nature.
In reply to Roberttaylor:

> At the risk of stating the obvious, have a look at the W300 (newest version) and the AW120/AW130.

> I had the AW130, loved it, but it broke in the end. Which is fair enough, given that it fell about 200m onto a rock ledge.

> I found an AW120 for £50 on ebay, it'll accept the same spare batteries I had for the AW130.

> Robert

It would seem to be ideal but it is twice what I paid for the previous model.
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> I got the Olympus Tough TG4 last year - very happy with it, does RAW files as well as jpegs, loads of options on the programmes, and mine is completely waterproof - I've taken it into rivers, snapping photos as I've floated down the current, and on a kayak. It's well made, nice and compact. I have no worries about immersing it completely, and don't have to treat it with kid gloves. Tough by name, tough by nature.

This is looking like the best option for what I want...
In reply to The Lemming:

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm after something small enough for a shirt pocket (a quite large shirt pocket)
In reply to craig h:

> Think I've settled on the Olympus Tough TG4 for £299 as it also takes raw files as well as jpegs, the Olympus Tough TG5 also ticks all my boxes, but at £399 I find it hard to justify as I have a great compact and DSLR.

The TG4 seems to be the best compromise of price and performance. Thanks
 jonnie3430 10 Jul 2017

I had an Olympus tough, then went to a Panasonic lumix ft3, and now have a Panasonic l lumix ft5, which i think took top of the reviews when I was looking. I bought the last two new off eBay and saved quite a bit as well.
In reply to jonnie3430:

These seem hard to get hold of as well as having shot up in price.
 The Lemming 10 Jul 2017

> Thanks for the suggestion but I'm after something small enough for a shirt pocket (a quite large shirt pocket)

I understand, you did not mention a size on the OP so I just gave thoughts on my water resistant camera.

Hope you find a suitable waterproof camera, as I was not so sucessful when I bought a waterproof a few years ago. The images were just too noisy for my liking/

jonnie3430 10 Jul 2017

Have a look at the lumix ft30. I've only just seen it, so haven't checked reviews, but if they have removed the stuff I don't need from the ft5 like GPS and WiFi so that it is more compact it could be great, and it seems to be about £100.
In reply to jonnie3430:

I've had an FT20 and FT30 for same reasons - no unnecessary clobber and therefore compact, also generally tough and waterproof.

They work well but both mine picked up some kind of electronic error. I'm a little wary now and still need a similar camera.

If I can get one cheap (£75 eBay?) I might just get another...
In reply to jonnie3430:

> Have a look at the lumix ft30. I've only just seen it, so haven't checked reviews, but if they have removed the stuff I don't need from the ft5 like GPS and WiFi so that it is more compact it could be great, and it seems to be about £100.

Thanks. Price wise this could be the best option.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...