UKC

Trekking Pole as a Selfie Stick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 07 Jul 2017
I can't say Im keen on selfie sticks per se but I'm interested in using my Go Pro for the occasional "On the go" footage during a walk or a trek.

Has anyone used a trekking pole in lieu of a selfie stick? How did you attach the camera?
 Welsh Kate 07 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
Pacerpoles have an attachment for a camera mount, and some Leki poles have facility to take a camera too (don't know offhand which ones), so if a Go Pro can be used with a standard camera mount - the one that screws in - then you should be fine with any of these poles.
Post edited at 19:49
 jonnie3430 07 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Have a look at the ultra pod, by pedco (Amazon). I bought one a few years ago, it's super light, but also has a velcro strap that means you can fix it to a walking pole or ice axe, or anything you can get the strap around. There is a ball mount on top that you screw into your camera so you can get it pointing anyway you want.
 mack 09 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

If you have a Go Pro don't you have the mounts that come with it? If not just look on Amazon and you'll easily find a vast variety of clamps and fixtures. (They really have clamps etc for fixing the camera to almost anything). You could use a cycle mount attached permanently to one of your walking poles and just clip the Go Pro on when you need a picture.
 Stairclimber 09 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

The 'ultrapod'(?), a small tripod with a ball fixing for a camera and a velcro strap to attach to poles is brilliant. I've used it with a compact camera while skiing and as a selfie stick if the camera is set on timer.
 climber david 11 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

as said before the easiest thing to do if you were wanting to attach to walking poles you already have would be to get a go pro bike handlebar mount and attach that to the pole then your go pro to the mount
Bellie 12 Jul 2017
 mrphilipoldham 12 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Glue on a short 1/4 inch thread (or whatever mount your camera has) and away you go!
 Billhook 14 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Do people really look at other folks selfies other than to smirk?
 PPP 15 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I managed to wrap a Micro Four Thirds camera with small lens on the trekking pole with a Gorillapod. You'll find many other use cases for a Gorillapod as well.
OP mypyrex 15 Jul 2017
In reply to All:
I got a Go Pro handlebar mount from Amazon. It's a little bit too big but I wrapped a suitable amount of gaffer tap to take up the slack round the part of the pole where I want to mount the camera. This was then covered with a short length of black fabric to match the colour of the pole and- hey presto - a trekking pole/selfie stick.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...