UKC

It's a young man's game

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Big Ger 09 Jul 2017
A team of researchers in the United States might have just cracked one of the biggest mysteries in economics. It's why young men are vanishing, in Australia as well as overseas.

A decade or so back we had a good idea of where they were. Of the Australian men aged 15 to 24 who weren't in school or higher education, an impressive 85 per cent were working.
That was back in May 2007. By May 2010 this year it had fallen to 78.6 per cent. That's one in every five young men not in education now not working, up from one in every seven a few years back. An extra 51,000 young men have "gone dark", slipped under the statistical radar.

And hardly any women. Young women not in education are about as likely to work as they used to be.

It isn't showing up in the unemployment rate. America's unemployment rate is very low, lower than Australia's. That's because most of these men aren't looking for work. They're doing something else. And, in America at least, we've a good idea of what it is.

Continues; http://www.smh.com.au/business/comment-and-analysis/gone-gaming-why-young-m...

Never having played myself, I don't know what the attraction is. Anyone here a "gamer"?
 Timmd 09 Jul 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

I've never been much into gaming myself, but I understand the attraction can be akin to watching a film but being able to take part in and control it, as well, that it's an interactive world to explore and influence.
Clauso 09 Jul 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Monopoly can be very addictive all right.

It can also bring primal instincts to the fore: I can quite happily murder family members who claim the Scottie dog token before I do.
OP Big Ger 09 Jul 2017
In reply to Clauso:

Only do that after gaining a "get out of jail free" card first.
 Stichtplate 09 Jul 2017
In reply to Clauso:

> Monopoly can be very addictive all right.

> It can also bring primal instincts to the fore: I can quite happily murder family members who claim the Scottie dog token before I do.

Monopoly is relatively benign. If you really want to destroy friendships and rip happy families apart , get the Risk board out.

Truly the work of the devil.
 felt 09 Jul 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

> rip happy families apart ,

One finds croquet sufficient in that regard.
 Wainers44 09 Jul 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Nah, not Monopoly, it's got to be Cluedo. The chance to leap to assumptions, judge people and throw around wild accusations is too good good for words!
 Stichtplate 09 Jul 2017
In reply to Wainers44:
> The chance to leap to assumptions, judge people and throw around wild accusations is too good good for words!

But I thought that was entirely what ukc is for?

Edit:
Post edited at 07:30
 Dr.S at work 09 Jul 2017
In reply to felt:

> One finds croquet sufficient in that regard.

" A most un-Christian game" as my ex-missionary Aunt cackled as she lined up a roquet shot.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...