UKC

Easy Sport Climbing in France in September

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm wanting to go on a sport climbing trip with my partner in September. Ideally somewhere with plenty low grade sport climbs for her (4-6a) and some low 7s for me but I'd be equally happy with plenty *** 6s in France - perhaps Avignon?

From people's experience: what is the cheapest way to get there (Avignon or any other suggestions) - flying and hiring a car or driving there and back?
If flying - where to? If driving - what's the cheapest option for ferry crossings?

Cheers!
 jon 09 Jul 2017
In reply to Andrew Sandercock:
Limited flights into Avignon airport. Marseille is probably best. However, TGV to Avignon and car rental would work well.
Post edited at 13:35
 stevieb 09 Jul 2017
Nimes airport is also nearby and there are budget flights from the uk.
Driving, it's 1000km from calais.

Kevster 09 Jul 2017

Orpiere, Buis Les Baronnes area?
I've flown and hired a car (I live next to Stansted so it's easy). Not sure how public transport would work out once there. The airports are all a drive away.
Having just driven to switzland, I don't think I'd be put off doing it again. It wasn't so bad to do, but the fast way via the tunnel is expensive relative to ferry.
 The Ivanator 09 Jul 2017

Fly to Toulouse and head for the Ariege Calamès (Limestone) and Auzat (Granite) are both superb and extensive crags with routes across the grades.
 kenr 10 Jul 2017
Around Serre Chevalier and/or Argentiere La Bessee, lots of climbing fitting your descriptions, likely a wider variety of interesting rock types than Avignon's limestone. And cooler weather.

Get the latest Briancon Climbs guidebook. Might want to supplement that with my more careful descriptions of how to _find_ each crag (search on this forum).

Ken

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...