UKC

suggestions for midge free bouldering in scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yodadave 09 Jul 2017
got three days off midweek and no-one to rope up with.
What are your suggestions for midge/tick free bouldering in Scotland.
Im centrally located and willing to drive
and Go...........
 DaveHK 09 Jul 2017
In reply to yodadave:

Cummingston? Might be smeggy though.
 climber david 11 Jul 2017
In reply to yodadave:

don't...
 kwoods 11 Jul 2017
In reply to yodadave:

Much more to do with the weather, but I guess the more open exposed locations in the NW Highland coastal regions are more likely to catch the wind off the sea. Dumby also tends not to see many midges/ticks.

I think it's got to do a lot more with time of day and weather than location.
 Renfrew1 12 Jul 2017
In reply to yodadave:

I did some great bouldering in torridon last year. You can grab the guide at the YHA hostel around the corner and just walk over to the Celtic Jungle. We had a couple of really warm days so i was surprised at the lack of Midges but can't say if that is the case for mid July. Theres also hidden fly sheets near the ship boulder often to stop your mat getting wet as the ground can hold water in places
 slab_happy 12 Jul 2017
In reply to kwoods:

> Dumby also tends not to see many midges/ticks.

Yeah, I had an amazingly midge-free week at Dumby in August a couple of years back; don't know if I just got lucky, but I attributed it to the breeze off the sea.
 scragrock 12 Jul 2017
In reply to yodadave:

As for Midge & Ticks- Primrose and Cummingston on the Moray coast are a Midge/Tick free zone..ish. They are however affected by tide and can get greasy depending on conditions.

Anything else in the Highlands in summer.....pray for direct sunlight or a stiff breeze.

Keep a close eye on Tide, Wind and weather and travel accordingly that's the best way.

Good Luck

planetmarshall 12 Jul 2017
In reply to yodadave:

The midge forecast reckons Arrochar is your best bet, aside from the coastal regions mentioned above. As the Midge Queen is a well known UKC lurker, if you announce loudly that you're going to Torridon and then go somewhere the other end of the country, you should be fine.
 Alex the Alex 12 Jul 2017
In reply to yodadave:
Mull might be nice? Sea breeze, usually fewer midges, lots of venues/rock types (Loch Buie, Kintra, Erraid, Iona, Gribun), and sometimes avoids the worst of the argyll weather.

Ruling out the whole country is ridiculous. The worst onslaught ive ever faced bouldering was at Brimham. Just treat them as another weather factor and choose accordingly.
Post edited at 10:49
 CurlyStevo 12 Jul 2017
In reply to yodadave:

Don't reckon you'll find any here
Portlethen (Craigmaroinn)
OP yodadave 16 Jul 2017
In reply to CurlyStevo:

thanks all, ended up locally at glen lednock, had a midge and tick free day in glorious sunshine. That and the dogs enjoyed the walk. Thanks for all the suggestions, plenty to go at in the future.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...