/ HELP! - any friendly structural engineer/climber in Sheffield?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
wblomfield on 11 Jul 2017
I'm building a climbing wall against a 2.5m high re-enforced concrete retaining wall at the rear of my property. The nosey neighbours, who share the same retaining wall, are getting twitchy that I am about to compromise the structural integrity of the wall with my 12 x 8mm x 100mm securing bolts. Any Sheffield-based climbers who just happen to be structural engineers who can help me convince them they have nothing to fear I'd be very grateful!!! Cheers!
Dell on 11 Jul 2017
In reply to wblomfield:

I'm a structural engineer and it's fine.

Feel free to print this off and show them.
jonnie3430 - on 11 Jul 2017
In reply to wblomfield:

Do you have drawings of the retaining wall? Or do you know how thick it is? What angle do you have on the climbing wall? Is it vertical or 45 degree, etc? Do you know how the retaining wall retains? I.e. is there rebar in the wall that goes into a concrete slab in front of it?

Civil, not a structural engineer, but that's where I'd start looking (unless Dell can enlighten us further?)
FactorXXX - on 11 Jul 2017
In reply to wblomfield:

I'm a uncivil engineer and I'd tell your neighbours to mind their f*cking business!
Pina - on 11 Jul 2017
In reply to wblomfield:
For the overall stability of the wall (not done this for a little while, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong someone):

Assuming it retains 2.5m of soil: Average soil effective stress of 20kPa, angle of friction of 30 deg would give a passive pressure of 75kN per m length of wall for a 2.5m high wall. Assuming your wall loads it with 100kg per meter (laterally which would be unlikely) that'll represent 1% of its capacity, most geotech factors will give you at least 35% additional capacity in the design.

I think you're fine. Again, happy to be corrected I mostly design steelwork...
Post edited at 17:08
Pina - on 11 Jul 2017
In reply to wblomfield:

Failing that, tell them to go suck a lemon.
ukb & bmc shark - on 11 Jul 2017
In reply to wblomfield:

Simon Palmer - Ill email you his number
ads.ukclimbing.com
wblomfield on 12 Jul 2017
In reply to ukb & bmc shark:

Thanks so much - cheers!
wblomfield on 12 Jul 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

Lmfao!!!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.