UKC

Keswick pub recommendation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 11 Jul 2017
Anyone got a favourite pub in Keswick or thereabouts for a pint of decent beer and solid pub food? Not looking for gastro, just decent pub grub.

Cheers!
Clauso 11 Jul 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

My regular used to be The Dog and Gun.

I've since switched allegiance to The Wainwright, or The Pack Horse. Both fulfil your criteria IMHO.
Post edited at 20:58
 Mike Peacock 11 Jul 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I was really impressed by the Wainwright first time I went in. Excellent beer (free house) and excellent staff. Rather than playing sport they were showing drone footage of the fells. Second visit, a year later, and I thought it was rubbish. Might be worth a try?

Burnbank and the Pheasant are pretty decent pubs whenever I've been in (assuming you like Jennings).
OP Jon Stewart 11 Jul 2017
In reply to both:

Nowt wrong with Jennings. We'll give one of them a try.

I'm pretty new to the Lakes and haven't orientated myself yet with regards to post-climbing dinner, except the obvious in Langdale. Kendal (home) seems to be notorious for having shite pubs, but I haven't tried yet (eaten out in the excellent restaurants). Many of the pubs I pass - particularly in the Wordsworth theme park area of the South East of course - seem a bit snooty at a glance.

Any gems to seek out or horrors to avoid? I quite like the look of the Kirkstone Pass - a bit bikery and weird perhaps, but in a good way?
 Jim Hamilton 11 Jul 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

The Wetherspoons in Bank Street seems very poplular.
 tmawer 11 Jul 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

The Old Crown at Hesket Newmarket is worth a visit.
 Ridge 11 Jul 2017
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

> The Wetherspoons in Bank Street seems very poplular.

TBH it's not a bad pub as Wetherspoons go. The Royal Oak does a good pint, and the food always looks good whenever I've been in.

For something a bit quieter the bar in The Inn on the Square is nice. Because it looks posh it's usually quiet, but they're absolutely fine with dogs and boots. It's nice to sit in a comfy chair while the hordes pack into the Dog and Gun.
 icnoble 12 Jul 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I second Weatherspoons

coldfell 12 Jul 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

The Pheasant for the best food and great atmosphere, especially round the fire in winter. The Scafell bar down Borrowdale also has good beer and a roaring fire to warm up after winter climbing.
Cheers, Dorine
 Mark Bull 12 Jul 2017
In reply to Ridge:

> The Royal Oak does a good pint, and the food always looks good whenever I've been in.

I had a very good fish pie in there earlier this year.

MeMeMe 12 Jul 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

More of a bar than a pub but the Square Orange do great pizza and have good beer - https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186327-d1234009-Reviews-Th...
 Ridge 12 Jul 2017
In reply to MeMeMe:

> More of a bar than a pub but the Square Orange do great pizza and have good beer - https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186327-d1234009-Reviews-Th...

Mrs Ridge reports they do a mean Tapas as well.
In reply to MeMeMe:
> More of a bar than a pub but the Square Orange do great pizza and have good beer - https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186327-d1234009-Reviews-Th...

This place is excellent! Been twice with my girlfriend and would go again and again. The tapas is brilliant!
Post edited at 12:37

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...