UKC

Recommended family spots in North Cornwall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 edordead 12 Jul 2017
Off to St Ives Bay in a month with two toddlers in tow (one starting to climb) but potential babysitters too.

Can anyone with local knowledge recommend family friendly low grade single pitch and/or bouldering? We've never climbed Cornwall before so open to all ideas.

Thanks,

Ed
 Greasy Prusiks 12 Jul 2017
In reply to edordead:

I'm struggling to think of much single pitch. Nearly all the trad climbing in West Penwith is on sea cliffs which are obviously a bit tricky for small children.

Bouldering wise there's some round St Ives area (pdf guide online somewhere) and more at Godrevy (pdf online).

I'll have a think about some single pitch.
 Mark Kemball 12 Jul 2017
In reply to edordead:

Sennen is nearly all single pitch, Trewavas and Aire Point too, but not really suitable to take toddlers to.
 GrahamD 12 Jul 2017
In reply to edordead:

You can go pretty much anywhere at diff/vdiff at the landward end (way away from the sea) at Bosigran. Just climb as high as you want then shuffle off to the side to get off.
 bouldery bits 12 Jul 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

> Bouldering wise there's some round St Ives area (pdf guide online somewhere) and more at Godrevy (pdf online).

Godrevy fab.

St Ives not up to much IMHO.

Greasy Prusiks 12 Jul 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

Agree with that. Great beach and seals by godrevy as well.

Wouldn't recommend Sennen as even the easiest approach has short sections of down climbing and isn't child friendly once you're down. Bosigran has some boulder hopping to get to the base.

I'll ponder some more.
 Tom Last 12 Jul 2017
In reply to edordead:
St Ives isn't real North Cornwall, North Cornwall being more like the culm and Atlantic coast - not exactly family friendly! Anyway without splitting hairs the following should all give you easy single pitch options without the necessity for abseiling BUT with potentially some scrambling and edge issues.

Trewavas
St Loy
Penberth
Cribba
Logan Rock
Pednvounder (Treen beach)
Bosigran near end
Roche Rock (bit further away but most suitable though not coastal)

For bouldering try
Clodgy (large area scattered along St Ives itself)
Godrevy
Carn Brea
Trencrom
Bosworlas
Carn Galver
Zennor Hill

Good luck.
Post edited at 21:05
 two_tapirs 13 Jul 2017
In reply to edordead:

+1 Godrevy.
Be aware that when the tide is coming in, there are numerous sections within the rocks that funnel the waves a bit quick, so not only do they have speed, but they suddenly have a lot more height to them than when they entered the funnel. Had some near misses that had me jumping for a high hold, if you're taking toddlers then they/you could easily get caught out.

Also keep an eye on the incoming tide, as there are some sections of Godrevy that are fantastic to climb on and around, but can get cut off from the walk off quickly. Again, tricky with toddlers
Be sensible and you'll have a great time
OP edordead 13 Jul 2017
In reply to edordead:

Thanks everybody!
 mbh 13 Jul 2017
In reply to edordead:

Years ago we took our 9 and 10 year olds scrambling along the base of the Porthguarnon face (on the walk in to St Loye, just beneath Treverven camp site) at low tide and then found a way out at the far end. We also did a Diff there that they enjoyed (see my photos). It all had an adventurous feel without me having to worry too much. Depending on what you mean by toddler, it might be worth a look.

There are also a few places where you can scramble off beaches without doing anything too hard or recklessly dangerous. At low tide, a nice circular walk is between Chapel Porth and Porthtowan, out along the beach and back along the coast path. Near the Porthtowan end there is a point where you can cut easily up the path by a fun rocky scramble. I haven't done that for a good 10 years mind, so the sands may have shifted in the meantime. There are also nice scrambles among the boulders going the other way along the beach from Chapel Porth, also at low tide, with an interesting addit that you can peer into some way along.

Further along, on St Agnes head, you can walk down to Tubby's Head and scramble about on the rocks, getting the feel of being somewhere wild without doing any actual 'climbing'. I used to do it with my daughter when she was 5,6,7 or so.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...