UKC

Gardoms - What a lovely quiet venue.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SuperLee1985 13 Jul 2017
We were climbing there this weekend, and with having tried about 7 campsites in the peak before finding one that was not full, I was expecting every crag to be rammed.
However we pretty much had the place to ourselves.

Easy walk-in, quality lines, on sharp, unpolished rock, with the tree cover providing a nice escape form the sun, what's not to like?

I'm not complaining at all (in fact, maybe I should keep my mouth shut so that it remains quite), but I'm curious as to why quality venues like this get overlooked in favour of the usual honeypot crags.
 deacondeacon 13 Jul 2017
In reply to SuperLee1985:
There's a great campsite, permanently quiet right next to it too.
Gardoms is a brilliant crag, but can be midgie this time of year.
 Cake 13 Jul 2017
In reply to deacondeacon:

The best routes are 1 vs, 2e1s, and 4e3s iirc. The next time I go, I will probably want to do eye of faith and then one of the E3s, but if I'm not confident in getting the E3 target, I won't go. I imagine others think similarly.

It is indeed the quietest of the good crags near Sheffield though, and it's lovely.
 TobyA 13 Jul 2017

Not quite as many clean classics of all grades next to each other I guess as Stanage or Froggatt. Some routes in the trees are a bit more hassle to get to. It's not as quiet as Chatsworth just down the road though!
 deacondeacon 13 Jul 2017
In reply to Cake:

> The best routes are 1 vs, 2e1s, and 4e3s iirc. The next time I go, I will probably want to do eye of faith and then one of the E3s, but if I'm not confident in getting the E3 target, I won't go. I imagine others think similarly.

> It is indeed the quietest of the good crags near Sheffield though, and it's lovely.

It's also probably the best bouldering venue on Eastern Grit for 7Bs
 Rog Wilko 13 Jul 2017

If I remember correctly it has more than its share of sandbags, at least in the sub E grades.
 Simon Caldwell 13 Jul 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Once perhaps, but the latest guides have corrected most of them.
 Oliver Houston 14 Jul 2017

Been a few times, but the tree cover and aspect make it too damp/green in winter/spring and midgey in summer through to Autumn. It takes a very specific set of conditions to make it pleasant (very windy in Summer/prolonged dry spell in winter).

There's closer, more reliable crags for the majority of people.

Saying that, I've walked away from a v. busy, v. windy Stanage to go and climb at an empty Lawrencefield, so maybe conditions aren't the driving factor here.
 Rog Wilko 14 Jul 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> Once perhaps, but the latest guides have corrected most of them.

That's good to know. I haven't climbed there probably since the last century!
 ChrisBrooke 14 Jul 2017
In reply to Oliver Houston:

I agree with all of this. I've walked in a couple of times over the years and walked out again on account of its emerald hue. Probably won't bother for a while, although I would like to go pick off the *** classics one day.

And Lawrencefield would always be my crag of choice when it's too windy at Stanage.....so good call there too
 steveb2006 14 Jul 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Thats why its nice and quiet : ). Lovely crag though - best in spring and autumn.
 mrphilipoldham 14 Jul 2017

You want to try the Chew Valley then!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...