UKC

Oberland conditions / Monch question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d80f0u 14 Jul 2017
Hello UKC,

Heading for the Bernese Oberland in a week's time and hoping someone can help with current conditions on any of the classic 4000m routes. I'm not asking "will route X be in condition", just a general overview from anyone who's there now or just returned?

Secondly (and much more specifically), can anyone tell me if the SW ridge on the Monch is equipped with any fixed gear? Trying to shave a few grams from my rack!

Much appreciated,
Ben
 Philiniqaluit 14 Jul 2017
In reply to d80f0u:

Hi Ben, climbed the Schreckhorn and Lauteraarhorn yesterday. Glacier approaches and snow couloirs pretty well filled in and well frozen in the morning, rock ridges dry. Monch, etc, looked refreshingly white from where we were. Phil (guide)
 MG 15 Jul 2017
In reply to d80f0u:

There was (precisely) one piton 20 years ago on the crucial pitch. I doubt there is anything more now. Take a few slings and a couple of nuts.
 mikefergy 15 Jul 2017
In reply to MG:

> There was (precisely) one piton 20 years ago on the crucial pitch. I doubt there is anything more now. Take a few slings and a couple of nuts.

It was the same in 2014 - just a single piton (or maybe a bolt, can't remember) on the crux pitch.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...