UKC

moving to Bicester

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
siljemsh 14 Jul 2017
Hi!
I am moving to UK around Bicester. I want to continue climbing when I get over. Until now I have just climbed indoors. Are there any indoor climbing places near Bicester? And are there any good outdoor places to climb?

In reply to siljemsh:

You can climb over Chinese tourists at Bicester Village trying to get into Louis Vuitton ?
 Neil Williams 15 Jul 2017
In reply to siljemsh:

If you drive you can get to Big Rock in MK easily enough. When it opens the new Bletchley centre will be a bit easier.

Not a lot outdoors...
 climbsagain 19 Jul 2017
In reply to siljemsh:

Also not too far from Rock Solid at Oxford Brookes University. Possible on public transport, but may take a while.
Good luck with the move
 Neil Williams 19 Jul 2017
In reply to CarmenPie:
Probably easier to/from Oxford by bus than MK - the X5 is a good service and does get you 15 minutes or so walk from Big Rock (MK Coachway), but the evening service is only in one direction as it is there to get the buses home to Bedford, so there is no late evening service back to Bicester. Whereas Oxford to/from Bicester has a very good bus and train service.

Of course if you're there for the long haul and it does get built, East West Rail will fix all that, with a direct train service to/from Bletchley, where Big Rock 2 is being built as we speak!
Post edited at 14:47
In reply to Neil Williams:
> Of course if you're there for the long haul and it does get built, East West Rail will fix all that, with a direct train service to/from Bletchley, where Big Rock 2 is being built as we speak!

Hmm.... I don't know if that is more or less likely to happen then the proposed Oxford-Cambridge Expressway which would half the journey by road...

Getting back to the original question, at least one of the regulars I see at Brookes lives in Bicester so presumably thinks it a better option currently than MK.

combatrock 27 Jul 2017
In reply to siljemsh:

I used to live just outside Bicester! Rock Solid at Oxford Brookes and Big Rock at Milton Keynes are good options. Rockstar in Swindon is great (now my local wall), small leading area but interesting routes. Further afield there's Reading climbing centre, plus a couple in Gloucester if I remember rightly. Outdoors is limited, but the Wye Valley is not that far for trad and some sport. The new Wye Valley sport climbing guidebook is out next month I think. Good luck with the move!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...