UKC

Military style backpacks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
frankor 15 Jul 2017
Greetings all,

So I'm shopping for a nice backpack, preferably in camo. I haven't made up my mind yet but I have a couple of candidates which I will share later. Just wanted to see what backpacks others use to carry their gear.
 wilkie14c 15 Jul 2017
In reply to frankor:

purpose designed climbing packs are the best for climbing. not too high so they don't tip your helmet forward when looking up, gear loops, rope straps, net pockets on sides for sweets, guide book, water, axe loops etc etc
i can't see any value in military style packs and camo patterns will be a disadvantage when the RAF are looking for you
 Welsh Kate 15 Jul 2017
In reply to frankor:

Guess it depends what you want it for. If for hiding from the enemy camo sounds like a good idea, if for climbing / scrambling / walking etc. I'd go for something more visible and easily findable, and more lightweight.
 FreeHeelSki 15 Jul 2017
In reply to frankor:

Frank,

If you're a climber, there's no reason at all to use a military pack. As Kate said, a climbing pack is called that because that's what it's designed for.

Having used both for their appropriate purposes for many years, I wouldn't dream of using my work pack climbing. If I wanted to take ammo, rations, water, cam nets etc into Coire an Sneachta or Cwm Idwal, then maybe, but best stick to a proper climber's pack.

If you're more of a Ray Mears-type rather than a climber, go for plain green rather than camo. Makes you look less like someone you'd cross the road to avoid if you're with the wife and kids...

Ridge 15 Jul 2017
In reply to FreeHeelSki:

The other thing is that if you travel abroad, certain countries have a problem with you bringing in anything that appears to be related to the military.
 bouldery bits 15 Jul 2017
In reply to frankor:

What size?
 kevin stephens 15 Jul 2017
In reply to Ridge:
I once checked a military style duffle in as hold baggage flying to Spain, contents had been totally riffled when I picked it up at the other end

Military "style" backpacks are aimed at wanabies with form taking priority over function - no guarantee that the stitches for gear loops etc wil actually be any good.

Real military backpacks (like those loaned to my children for Army cadets) are ok for carrying loads of camping gear etc but lack the design features of a real climbing pack: Good harness to distribute the weight to keep you stable on scrambly ground, no impingement of head movement when you are wearing a helmet, not too wide to impede arm movements, often a strap to secure rope under the lid etc.

A good well designed pack will serve you well and last a long time. A good place to start foe value is the Deuter range at Go Outdoors; I think you can get some in green
Post edited at 11:19
 Robert Durran 15 Jul 2017
In reply to kevin stephens:

> I once checked a military style duffle in as hold baggage flying to Spain, contents had been totally riffled when I picked it up at the other end.

Nothing on the American redneck I was once queuing behind at check in at Amman airport dressed from head to toe in camouflage and stars and stripes and with a big camouflaged gun case. He seemed outraged that he was being given lots of hassle!

JayPee630 15 Jul 2017
In reply to frankor:

Might help if you said what you wanted it for, and what rough capacity you were thinking of...
frankor 16 Jul 2017
In reply to frankor:

Thanks for all your replies.

I'm looking at one of these backpacks, I have a gift card from my wife which I wish to redeem for a juicy discount:

http://militarytrained.com/product-category/military-backpacks/

@wilkie14c you have a good point about bag's height so I'm thinking this bag should do the trick, unless you think it's way too small http://militarytrained.com/product/cross-body-military-equipment-bag/

@Welsh Kate hehe no, not hiding from the enemy, I just like the camo pattern.

Thats why I'm also considering this bag
http://militarytrained.com/product/military-tactical-outdoor-bag/
or
http://militarytrained.com/product/military-multifunction-waterproof-backpa...

@FreeHeelSki noted. I usually go on long hikes with some climbing involved, rarely meet any families plus I have a 60% voucher, thats why I was considering to a military style backpack. But you guys have a good point about the bag not being suitable for the activity due to it's design.

@bouldery bits small to medium size

@kevin stephens thanks for sharing, ill avoid taking camo bags when travelling. Shocking, why do they need xray machines??? I hope they didn't steal anything valuable. I'll checkout Deuter@Go Outdoors
 FactorXXX 16 Jul 2017
In reply to frankor:

Subtle, but your camouflage eventually failed...
 ChrisH89 17 Jul 2017
In reply to frankor:

Camo bags don't look as nice in climbing photos either, it's all about the bright colours
 spartacus 17 Jul 2017
In reply to frankor:
I'm with you on this, I like to use camo face paints as well and take cover when I see others on the hill. All my climbing gear is painted Matt black which is annoying as the cams don't work anymore and I can't find my rope. The helmet is a bit hot and heavy on sunny days.

Post edited at 12:31
 JackM92 20 Jul 2017
In reply to frankor:

Military gear is robust but extremely heavy. E.G webbing weighs 7lb unloaded and a bergen about the same. Compare this to approx 2lb for a nice brightly coloured pack with better features.
Tomtom 21 Jul 2017
Civies in camo is horrible. Bloody walts.
 tony 21 Jul 2017
In reply to frankor:

> or

They look terrible as backpacks! It's hard to believe they have any useful functions as proper backpacks for hiking/walking/climbing. I'd also doubt that $30 gets you very much in the way of quality manufacturing or materials. I'd avoid that brand completely.
 Ridge 21 Jul 2017
In reply to Tomtom:

> Civies in camo is horrible. Bloody walts.

Camo? DPM if you don't mind...
 tehmarks 21 Jul 2017
In reply to Ridge:

Or in more modern times, MPT.
 Ridge 21 Jul 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

In my defence I'm old enough to remember 58 pattern webbing
 Pbob 21 Jul 2017
In reply to frankor:

Might be worth looking at Karrimor SF. Not the Karrimor brand whose name got sold and now make trash. I believe Karrimor SF make good packs to the original standard. Never seen one close up but they might be the kind of thing you want.
www.karrimorsf.com/
 london_huddy 21 Jul 2017
In reply to Ridge:

When chieftain was a rank, not a tank?

To the OP: these bags look pretty grim. IF you really want military style, consider Karrimor SF or Camalbak; if you're feeling flush, there's ArcTeryx LEAF or mystery ranch... I'd stay away from militarytrained.com

Unless this whole post is a scam to get us clicking on those links.
 eschaton 21 Jul 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

Haha peasants! Crye or die!
Tomtom 22 Jul 2017
In reply to Ridge:

> Camo? DPM if you don't mind...

You're quite right, until they bastardised it into mtp. Useless. also, '95s' I can't say I was a fan of that name though, although I wasn't a fan of the term dpm. 'Rig' will do nicely.
 Fakey Rocks 13 Aug 2017
In reply to spartacus:

> All my climbing gear is painted Matt black which is annoying as the cams don't work anymore and I can't find my rope...

Check out the new range of DMM hardware... Its all coming out in Matt dark grey for some crazy reason.... 25th anniversary or summut, can't see it selling very well. I need my colour therapy, preferably pastel shades like WC do, but owts better than gun metal grey.
 bouldery bits 14 Aug 2017
In reply to Rock to Fakey:

> Check out the new range of DMM hardware... Its all coming out in Matt dark grey for some crazy reason.... 25th anniversary or summut, can't see it selling very well. I need my colour therapy, preferably pastel shades like WC do, but owts better than gun metal grey.

Link!!! I want this.

I'll look like a total war machine when I'm barn dooring off a diff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...