/ Any stunt men or woman on here?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
elliott92 - on 15 Jul 2017
Okay so my friend has successfully logged his 6 disciplines, 60 hours of extra work and has had a good year since getting on the JISC. Hasn't been in constant work as is expected with the job and especially the first year. Yet he's already earnt more than me this last year. I'm very tempted to spend the next couple of years getting what I need done and becoming a "stuntman". Just wondering for a few more opinions from people in the know telling me pros and cons to the job. Little background on me.. Already self employed carpenter so I'm use to no job stability. I don't have a mortgage or family yet and only ever really *need* to earn about 700 quid p/m at the moment. I obviously climb so I can get my spa as a discipline pretty easily. Also booked to go on my AFF and get my skydive lisence. Looking to get my PADI lisence too. I know I need atleast a brown belt in martial arts, some form of either gymnastics, trampolining or diving for fall category and one other discipline. Martial arts and getting into gym is where I can see biggest time commitments. I'm not yet committed to this quite yet so can someone please help nudge me in one direction or another. Thanks a lot. Elliott
Dave the Rave on 15 Jul 2017
In reply to elliott92:

I'm a Cupid Stunt, and hence you'd better not follow any advice that I give.
Lusk - on 15 Jul 2017
jezb1 - on 15 Jul 2017
In reply to elliott92:

Having seen a few go through the scheme (doing their climbing and SPA with me) it seems it's all about getting contacts, like most things in life.

The ones getting good work out of it were already doing extra work etc before getting on the register.
In reply to Lusk:

These comments made my night!
In reply to jezb1:

Thanks for the reply mate. Certainly would seem it's an industry of who you know not what you know. From what research I've done the ones who really make the big bucks have family highly placed I'm the business. If I do go down that route I'll be sure to book my spa with you
aln - on 16 Jul 2017
In reply to elliott92:

> I'll be sure to book my spa with you

You have to look your best in that business. Sauna, massage, nails, a few treatments won't go amiss.

elliott92 - on 16 Jul 2017
In reply to aln:

Hahahah nothing wrong with a bit of male grooming
routrax - on 16 Jul 2017
In reply to elliott92:

I've a couple of mates who are connected to this industry and know a bit about this kind of stuff. I'll show them your post when I see one of them and see if they have any pearls of wisdom to share.

elliott92 - on 16 Jul 2017
In reply to routrax:

Thankyou I'd really appreciate that
ads.ukclimbing.com
CarbonCopy on 16 Jul 2017
In reply to elliott92:
I've got a mate who's a stuntman, and fine very well from it. But as far as I'm aware he doesn't do any martial arts or diving etc. Pretty sure he got into it from riding horses, and falling off them. Do you have to have all the things you've mentioned? Can't you pick them up as you go along?

wilkie14c - on 16 Jul 2017
In reply to elliott92:

> Hahahah nothing wrong with a bit of male grooming

i dare you to post that on mumsnet
routrax - on 16 Jul 2017
In reply to elliott92:

TBH, this area is so complex, PM me your number and I'll try to get one of my friends to ring you. Most of them are ex gymnasts (GB team) and performers/ex performers (aerial artists, etc) and riggers, so know the business and it's intricacies

Formulate some questions and I'm pretty sure they will be happy to advise if they have the time.

PaulW - on 17 Jul 2017
In reply to elliott92:

Friend of mind did it years ago, did the training and then spent years doing whatever, theme parks, corporate events, anything to build up his CV.

Finally made it into working on big budget movies so it can be done.

stubbed on 17 Jul 2017
In reply to elliott92:

I know a climber who does stunts. It's not his day job though, like others have said, you need to network to do that. You also need to consider how far you have to travel. He has family so stays local - but he gets onto most big movies that are made in the UK, working in London.
His disciplines are climbing, swimming, horseriding, fencing, and kayaking. He swam internationally and sometimes gets roles where he has to pretend to be drowning. But most of his work is just jumping out of the way when something explodes. He's expected to look after his own safety so being the sort of person who always lands on their feet and assesses risk well would be a start. There's a lot of sitting around. It's lucrative.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.