UKC

A moving blog post about Glastonbury & sexual assault

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 17 Jul 2017

https://lifeonlauralane.wordpress.com/2017/07/11/an-open-letter-to-glastonb...

I came across this on facebook, and felt that it was worth sharing. Partly because the Glastonbury crew deserve their goodness to be known, and because any victim of sexual assault shouldn't feel it's them who ought to shrink back from life - be the one to do anything differently.

veteye 17 Jul 2017
In reply to Timmd:

That really is moving.
OP Timmd 18 Jul 2017
In reply to veteye:
Very much so. A bisexual friend on Saturday was going through a tough time in a related way. Being Turkish, she was raped there 5 years ago by her husband, and the police laughed when she reported it. Another woman was kissing her at a friends house on Friday while they were both drunk after finding out she was bi, and it being uninvited had brought back the trauma related to it. It was tough to see her sitting with the shakes going down one side from remembering the trauma. That kind of thing must go so deeply in it's effects.
Post edited at 12:02
 thommi 18 Jul 2017
In reply to veteye:

Totally agree.
OP Timmd 18 Jul 2017
In reply to thommi:

Funny how my second post got disliked? It was the state my friend was in which contributed to my OP.

Some people are very odd.
 off-duty 18 Jul 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> Funny how my second post got disliked? It was the state my friend was in which contributed to my OP.

> Some people are very odd.

Possibly because it's not clear what you're saying? It sounds like :
She was raped in Turkey and treated appallingly, then sexually assaulted in a party and again nothing happened to the perpetrator.
 duchessofmalfi 18 Jul 2017
In reply to Timmd:

You appear to be disclosing an awful lot of personal detail about someone, apparently without their permission, for the sake of an anecdote on social media.
 Jon Stewart 18 Jul 2017
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

It's totally anonymous - how is that "disclosing" anything?
 Jon Stewart 18 Jul 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> Funny how my second post got disliked?

It's impossible to interpret what they mean. Ignore it!
 duchessofmalfi 18 Jul 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Totally anonymous unless you know who timmd is...

Timmd could be here in total anonymity but can timmd guarantee that for all of internet eternity? If timmd or X's associates find out about the post will X remain anonymous? Will timmd's other social media and data trail be sufficiently protected for X to remain anonymous? Possibly not.

Did the post contain needless information that could be private? Definitely.
 thomasadixon 18 Jul 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Could be some Turkish husbands annoyed that you called them all rapists...

It's a good story.
Gone for good 18 Jul 2017
In reply to Timmd:

I disliked it because it sounded like a load of old bollocks made up to draw some rather dubious connection with the original post and blog.

Hope that clears thing up!!
OP Timmd 18 Jul 2017
In reply to duchessofmalfi:
> You appear to be disclosing an awful lot of personal detail about someone, apparently without their permission, for the sake of an anecdote on social media.

Do you get off on being snippy? I thought it was pertinent to the subject in the OP.

If I had any faith you'd pay, I'd bet you £50 you couldn't google and find out who she might be.

Post edited at 21:18
OP Timmd 18 Jul 2017
In reply to Gone for good:
> I disliked it because it sounded like a load of old bollocks made up to draw some rather dubious connection with the original post and blog.

> Hope that clears thing up!!

I've suddenly realised, that people with certain personality traits, will keep posting in the same ways on here, and reasoning agreeably doesn't do a lot, since they'll pop up again later on the same style.

You're entirely wrong, but there you go. I'd say something along the lines of not jumping to conclusions if I'd thought it might help....
Post edited at 21:28
Gone for good 18 Jul 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Jump to conclusions as much as you like.

Your post alludes to the victim being raped by her husband in Turkey and the Police laughed at her because that's what happens in Turkey and nobody gives a shit.
It then goes onto say she got hammered after finding out she was bi sexual and snogged another girl and then got all remorseful and had a good old cry. I wonder who had the most ouzo that night? You or her?
Either way it still sounds like a load of old bollovks.
 elsewhere 18 Jul 2017
In reply to Timmd:
> If I had any faith you'd pay, I'd bet you £50 you couldn't google and find out who she might

Better to add few anonymising lies such as natonality, "a few years ago" rather than specific days and "a friend told me" just in case somebody who knows you in real life could identify the Turkish woman you saw on Saturday.

elsewhere 18 Jul 2017
In reply to Timmd:
That is a very impressive response from the festival.
 Jon Stewart 18 Jul 2017
> It then goes onto say she got hammered after finding out she was bi sexual and snogged another girl and then got all remorseful and had a good old cry. I wonder who had the most ouzo that night? You or her?

Are you deliberately trying to sound like a complete arsehole?
Post edited at 22:24
 Skyfall 18 Jul 2017
In reply to Timmd:

V odd post. You clearly meant well but I agree with others you're a) disclosing a heck of a lot of personal info and b) I'm not sure the 'story' is consistent etc
Gone for good 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Are you compelled to defend every single bullshit story you come across on the web?
 Jon Stewart 19 Jul 2017

How many have you seen me defend?

I didn't really get the point of Timmd's post tbh, but the tone of your post made you sound like a complete arsehole. Useful feedback? (Rhetorical question - I'm unlikely to read any response).
In reply to Timmd:
I was just reading this https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/jul/19/top-10-opening-scenes-in-book...

and I reckon your "Being Turkish, she was raped there 5 years ago by her husband, and the police laughed when she reported it." could be a contender

It has everything...pathos, suspense, humour
Post edited at 12:43
Lusk 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> If I had any faith you'd pay, I'd bet you £50 you couldn't google and find out who she might be.

I'll bet you £50 and the cost of a private investigator, we could easily find out who it is within a week.
We know your name is Tim and you live in Sheffield and and and ....
 Jon Stewart 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Lusk:

> I'll bet you £50 and the cost of a private investigator, we could easily find out who it is within a week.

The point is about risk. Is there any risk that this personal information has actually been disclosed publicly? Vanishingly close to zero since no one has any motivation to investigate.

That's not to say one shouldn't be a bit more careful and anonymise as much as possible.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...