UKC

Lake Wanaka climbing - topos advice or connections welcome!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CristinaB 18 Jul 2017
Hello,

I am on my way to Lake Wanaka and have only now seen how much climbing there is in the area!!

Does anyone have any topos of the bouldering? Especially lakeside boulder

And also if anyone has or is climbing in the area please let tell me any insider knowledge

Thank you, Cristina
????
 Lemony 18 Jul 2017
In reply to CristinaB:

If you go to the DOC station they have the guidebook which has the bouldering in the back. They were happy for me to snap a photo of the page I wanted when I was there.
 Daniel Leech 18 Jul 2017
In reply to CristinaB:

there's some stuff on UKC I'm pretty sure, I did some lakeside bouldering using that to help navigate
 alx 18 Jul 2017
In reply to CristinaB:

The best stuff is up near Hospital Flat Conservation Area 1215 Wanaka-Mount Aspiring Rd, Glendhu Bay 9382, New Zealand
https://goo.gl/maps/gHCXYqUDJ6w

Glendhu bay has a couple of boulders by the lake

A bit of everything up to 7C/V9 albeit take kiwi grades with a pinch of salt they are a bit of a finger in the wind affair.

To be candid the Wanaka bouldering and climbing is limited, back in 2010 I spent 10months climbing in Wanak and I pulled off a crucial hold off nearly every climb.

I have the crux hold from an 8a called Engage on the Engine Block as coffee table ornament.

The best bouldering is Flock Hill
 Tom Last 18 Jul 2017
In reply to CristinaB:

The Diamond had some good routes as I recall.
 FinlayThomson 19 Jul 2017
In reply to CristinaB:

Hey Cristina

I live in wanaka at the moment.
It can get pretty cold so Id stick to areas that are in the sun for most of the day, like Sunnyside and The tombstone at Hospital Flat.

I have a copy of the most up to date guide book that has some bouldering topo at the back of it. You are welcome to snap some photos of it or I can give you a photo copy of a couple of pages. There is topo for the lakeside boulder, everything feels hard for the grade on that thing though haha!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...