UKC

learning to trad climb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 crimpsoplenty 18 Jul 2017
Are there any instructors who want to give a sport climber a lesson in the fun world of trad? Have looked at a couple of courses but they tend to take place on weekends and due to my job I am often free on weekdays so makes sense to do it then and not sacrifice a weekend crag day with my friends and also benefit from the crag being quiet. I am aware that this website does have an entire database dedicated to this and have trawled through and sent some emails but thought I would post a little message here to check....

Am Midlands based so peak district or wye valley areas are ideal.
 mrphilipoldham 18 Jul 2017
In reply to laura.caley:

If you're happy to learn through experience then hooking up with a regular trad climber would do you a great service, of which there are many who have midweek climbing days!
OP crimpsoplenty 18 Jul 2017
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Regular trad climber would also be excellent happy to get some miles in seconding trad, can never hurt can it?!
 Oliver Houston 18 Jul 2017
In reply to laura.caley:

Plenty of instructors will work weekdays, but might not run a course due to low demand, this could either make it cheaper as they will be keen for the extra work. Or more expensive as it's one-on-one (try and split with a friend if you can).

If you're a competent lead belayer, someone on here might meet up with you for an easy trad day and show you a few bits, but try not to pick up their bad habits (we've all got them)...

If you're happy to get started, get a few nuts and cams and wander around popular crags placing gear at ground level. There'll generally be a few people around weekdays and some of them might let you second. Or check out your gear placements in their lunch breaks. Most peak grit crags have some bouldering, so take a pad and you can get some climbing done even if no-one will talk to you. But I'd say we're generally a sociable, helpful bunch when we're not behind our keyboards...
 Climbthatpitch 18 Jul 2017
In reply to crimpsoplenty:

Hi. Might be a bit far for you as i wouldnt be able to do a full day midweek but if you ever fancy a climb in the wye valley midweek I can be there for about 3 30pm onwards.

Always happy to take people out for a bit of trad climbing

Cheers
Lee
OP crimpsoplenty 18 Jul 2017
In reply to leeboy1985:

While it is still light in the evening this would definitely be possible, I could actually do next Wednesday if you are free? I was going to drive to Bristol that day anyway
 jayjackson 18 Jul 2017
Look out for instructors displaying the Association of Mountaineering Instructors logo, these are folks who are MIA assessed as a minimum, have chosen to be members of a professional body, and also must complete a certain amount of CPD to maintain their membership.

We run loads of bespoke instruction workshops and courses for people looking to start or improve their trad climbing. We are a bit further West than you however if you fancy a mid-week trip to Devon or Cornwall, then feel free to get in touch!

https://www.climbcornwall.com/instruction-outdoor-climbing

Jay
 bpmclimb 18 Jul 2017

I'll climb with you for a day midweek on Lower Wye Valley trad, cover a few skills you may not yet have. Let me know. Brian.
I'm currently Oxford based so do run courses in both the Peak and the Wye Valley. I've also got days free midweek in the first half of August.

There are plenty of AMI members around who'd be more than happy to teach you all about trad, however as has already been mentioned, climbing courses generally work better (and more importantly for most people, are half the cost) with two students. That means the options open to you are basically: pay a bit more for one-to-one tuition, find another person to join you or book onto a scheduled course probably with one of the a larger companies.
OP crimpsoplenty 19 Jul 2017
In reply to bpmclimb:
Midweek climbing would be excellent! I have very random days off as I'm a nurse with no set shift pattern. Next week I'm free wednesday or friday if that suits?
Post edited at 08:49
Deadeye 19 Jul 2017

Just to be clear, are you offering to pay the instructor their usual rate?
In reply to Deadeye:

Of course!
 bpmclimb 19 Jul 2017

Friday (28th) is a possibility; I'm not working but my usual climbing partner is. I think that's the case anyway. I'll get back to you in a day or two.
 Rakim 19 Jul 2017

Try:

https://www.climbforlife.me/

really good
 radddogg 19 Jul 2017

Most (actually all) trad climbers I know were taught by another climber(s) rather than paying an instructor. My personal view is that learning over a number of sessions rather than in one hit will stick more - like learning to drive, the lessons might teach you to pass a test but real learning comes from experiencing it in real situations.

A chap joined our club 6 weeks ago, never climbed or belayed even. He's been leading HS for the last few weeks and has followed us up routes up to E1. Amazing progress.
In reply to radddogg:

Very good advice, I am definitely someone that learns better over a longer period rather than everything in one session.
In reply to bpmclimb:
Excellent, let me know
Post edited at 14:34

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...