UKC

Quality of facilities in Chamonix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
igwt 18 Jul 2017
Helloooo
I'm currently working on coursework for my geography A level, which is on tourism management. I need to compare two different sites, one in Wales - where I have conducted primary research, and one in Chamonix. As a sixth former I obviously can't carry out questionnaires in Chamonix directly, so this is the next best thing I would be extremely grateful if people who have been to Chamonix could tell me about the quality of the facilities;
e.g. how accessible the paths are to yourself etc. (could anyone access/use them)
is the area well maintained?
specifically describing the quality of the mountaineering/rock climbing facilities
and if you are a local or a tourist
Thankyouuuu x
 Doug 18 Jul 2017
In reply to r.gna:

why can't you go to Chamonix ? & if you really can't, wouldn't it make more sense to compare two places you can visit?
igwt 18 Jul 2017
In reply to Doug:

Too expensive It would absolutely make more sense, but my school said I had to for my topic area - really annoying
 summo 18 Jul 2017
In reply to r.gna:
Try
http://street360.net/france/haute-savoie/chamonix-mont-blanc.php

Think you are comparing chalk and cheese. Chamonix has few other towns in Europe that you can ever hope to compare it with, because of the climbing, cable cars, skiing, valley bus abd cable car passes, mont blanc tunnel to Italy and a dozen other sports.. . There isnt a UK equivalent.

I'd compare Llanberis with Fort William, Keswick or Aviemore.
Post edited at 21:15
mysterion 18 Jul 2017
In reply to r.gna:
Biggest difference, Chamonix has a dense mountain infrastructure - cable cars, mountain railways, mountain huts and paths - all well maintained and reliable given the heights, distances, ground and weather conditions.

Second biggest difference, their walking can be like our mountaineering
Post edited at 21:33
igwt 18 Jul 2017
In reply to summo:

Thanks for replying
Im comparing Cwm Idwal because it does offer 'adventure tourism' like Chamonix, but obviously not on the same scale. Due to Chamonix being far more dependent on tourism economically, I'm assessing what differences there will consequently be regarding the effectiveness of tourism management and he different methods they use.

It will be comparable because I'm using the same questions for Cwm Idwal, sadly I had little to no control on where the study locations would be
igwt 18 Jul 2017
In reply to mysterion:

Thank youu, thats really helpful

Forgetting Wales, would you say Chamonix is well maintained, and are the quality of activity facilities good?
 summo 18 Jul 2017
In reply to r.gna:

You are comparing a mountain feature with a large town?
igwt 18 Jul 2017
In reply to summo:
Nope - Cwm Idwal is a national park famous for its glaciated landscape and Chamonix provides winter 'adventure tourism'
Post edited at 21:55
 summo 18 Jul 2017
In reply to r.gna:
> Nope - Cwm Idwal is a national park famous for its glaciated landscape and Chamonix provides winter 'adventure tourism'

Nope cwm idwal is roughly 3km2 of cwm, to the north of the glyder range. Just one very small part of the national park.

Chamonix, provides probably a dozen+ sports year round; from valley bottom, to 4000m on the Italian border etc. You could not even fit the urban sprawl of chamonix itself in cwm idwal.

Sorry but the two are not comparable. Ask your teacher for some help on a better study.
Post edited at 22:03
 robert-hutton 18 Jul 2017
In reply to r.gna:
In reply
*How accessible the paths are to yourself etc.
The paths in both are very accessible, perhaps Wales has the edge for the general public stepping out from the car park.
* Is the area well maintained.
Both area are very well maintained different to say who has the edge as the paths are do differently depending on altitude.
*Specifically describing the quality of the mountaineering/rock climbing facilities.
Chamonix has the edge in mountaineering, Wales has done outstanding rock climbing I would give it a no score draw.

What about putting a questionnaire together, you might get a better comparison to pull your results together.

Give the original poster some slack, they have been given a brief from some teacher who's knowledge is limited and they have taken the initiative by asking the question, ok it might be a good question but good on ya.
7 out of 10 good but could do better, teacher 2 out of 10 must do better.
Post edited at 22:30
igwt 18 Jul 2017
In reply to robert-hutton:

Thank youu so much!! this is exactly what I'm looking for i'll include the questionnaire soon
igwt 18 Jul 2017

Questionnaire

Q1 - Are you a local or tourist?
Q2 - How accessible do you think Chamonix is?
Q3 - Is the area well maintained?
Q4 - What is the quality of the activity facilities, specifically rock climbing/mountaineering?
Q4 - Are there any improvements Chamonix could make to your experience?

If you have the time to answer these questions I would be so grateful as this coursework is worth 20% of my final A level :/
Post edited at 22:48
 summo 19 Jul 2017
In reply to r.gna:

Using the power of Google you could research all those questions for a hypothetical trip of your own and earn that A level?
 robert-hutton 19 Jul 2017
In reply to r.gna:

Q1 - Are you a local or tourist? Tourist
Q2 - How accessible do you think Chamonix is? Quite accessible for most tourists and has some low valley paths which would suite but to get the full experience you would need to use the lifts up to higher pathways or get further transport out of the town.
Q3 - Is the area well maintained? Yes we'll maintained but again the low valley paths are not what brings the tourist into the town
Q4 - What is the quality of the activity facilities, specifically rock climbing/mountaineering? Now this depends on what you mean activity facilities if supporting shops then Chamonix is / was very good but Chamonix is changing and a lot of shops are up market clothings and bars not themed to the outdoors but to the upmarket lifestyle.
Q4 - Are there any improvements Chamonix could make to your experience. Chamonix is changing to a lifestyle destination where daytripers taking one stage up on a lift or sitting in a bar looking up is very important, my experience choice is to experience the mountains not the valley and at the moment it does cater for both but the movement might be to chase the mass tourist market and the small climbing market would be less important.
In reply to summo:

Sorry don't think Google would give views on Joe public perception on the Chamonix and what they would receive or want on stepping out from the car park.
He has been given a crap task and by asking the unanswerable questions to a knowledge audience the deserves some slack.
 Wainers44 19 Jul 2017
In reply to r.gna:

> Questionnaire

> Q1 - Are you a local or tourist? Tourist (a number of times)

> Q2 - How accessible do you think Chamonix is? Very. Flight options are good and stunningly cheap as is car hire. Driving down is also easy due to the toll roads. Once in the town it is usually easy to park and simple to navigate around

> Q3 - Is the area well maintained? Main areas generally yes. You can see it is a winter sports area, as like many it is a bit tatty around the edges (ie the bits normally covered in snow!)

> Q4 - What is the quality of the activity facilities, specifically rock climbing/mountaineering? Really not comparable with UK. The scale, difficulty, seriousness and potential for exploration are just too different. Facility providers in both Idwal and Chamonix would be similar...in the context of the very different terrains they operate in. The range of activities available in Cham is greater. I don't think I could have scared myself in Idwal quite so comprehensively as I did with the tandem paraglider flight in Cham!!

> Q4 - Are there any improvements Chamonix could make to your experience? Struggling to think of much really. No point moaning about how busy it gets....it's busy because it's so nice! Accommodation range could be a bit better, ie self catering stuff is a bit limited and very expensive. Mind you it's still streets better than most of the stuff in Idwal!!

> If you have the time to answer these questions I would be so grateful as this coursework is worth 20% of my final A level :/

Wainers44 19 Jul 2017
In reply to summo:

> Using the power of Google you could research all those questions for a hypothetical trip of your own and earn that A level?

Or maybe if you like you could give your views and that might spark some more meaningful research? On the other hand if you don't want to, then don't.

Have a good one!
 Doug 19 Jul 2017
In reply to r.gna:
Not clear if you mean Chamonix the town or including the surrounding area

> Questionnaire

> Q1 - Are you a local or tourist? Tourist

> Q2 - How accessible do you think Chamonix is?
Town - Very easy to get to by train, bus or car. Reasonable access by air via Geneva. Effectively free transport for visitors once there
Mountains - By Alpine standards very easy with extensive network of cable cars & mountain railways

> Q3 - Is the area well maintained?
Yes

> Q4 - What is the quality of the activity facilities, specifically rock climbing/mountaineering?
Valley rock climbing is OK but nothing special, mountaineering is world class

> Q4 - Are there any improvements Chamonix could make to your experience?
Move it nearer to my home

> If you have the time to answer these questions I would be so grateful as this coursework is worth 20% of my final A level :/

You've explained that you have little choice but you really are trying to compare apples & cheese - how can you compare a mountain cirque with a town ?

summo 19 Jul 2017
Sadly if their teacher gave him these two locations to compare, they have an idiot for a teacher.

I would say some of your answer are a little understated.

Chamonix is incredibly accessible, 1hr from an international airport, with drop off services available. Accommodation to suit all budgets, free valley bus passes when using them. Tourist and guides office offer information for all level outdoor activists. Bike, canoe, raft, guide hire etc.. at multiple outlets.

Cable cars that will start early to take climbers, struggle to cope with the coaches at peak, but will still let you take a mtb up.

Food and bars of course cater for mid day coach parties, but there are cheaper and better places off the main street.

Paths. Little signs and coloured stones guide you around the slopes and between the huts. Or ladders built to allow glacier access.

Chamonix is made for people who don't want to or can't plan, allowing you to just focus on the activity itself. Everything is catered for and on tap, at a price.
Post edited at 09:08
In reply to r.gna:

You also have to realise that other activities have now been added to the Chamonix portfolio like downhill / mountain biking, mountain running, paragliding, golf etc.
And the coffee / bar culture is very important to Chamonix.
 summo 19 Jul 2017

> You also have to realise that other activities have now been added to the Chamonix portfolio like downhill / mountain biking, mountain running, paragliding, golf etc.

I've known of people going just for painting, photography, or for the alpine flowers. It's accessibility gives it very broad appeal.

Doug 19 Jul 2017
In reply to summo:

We once spent a night just outside Chamonix as we wanted to visit a Marc Chagal exhibition at the Fondation Pierre Gianadda in nearby Martigny as Chamonix is cheaper than Switzerland. But once there I also managed a walk along the Balcon nord the following day before we left
In reply to summo:
Yes the teacher might have just googled "mountain destination France" I am not saying that they might be an idiot as that will awaken all the teachers that might be on an well deserved holiday.

What I don't understand is why ask this in mid July either they are very keen or very late with the submission.
Post edited at 09:46
 ianstevens 19 Jul 2017

> Sorry don't think Google would give views on Joe public perception on the Chamonix and what they would receive or want on stepping out from the car park.

> He has been given a crap task and by asking the unanswerable questions to a knowledge audience the deserves some slack.

This. The OP is indeed "earning their A-Level" by actually collecting some (albeit dodgy) data themselves, which should be applauded.
 ianstevens 19 Jul 2017

> Yes the teacher might have just googled "mountain destination France" I am not saying that they might be an idiot as that will awaken all the teachers that might be on an well deserved holiday.

> What I don't understand is why ask this in mid July either they are very keen or very late with the submission.

AS Levels are finished, A2 hasn't really started so it's the ideal time to do coursework which will contribute to the coming academic year.
 summo 19 Jul 2017

> Yes the teacher might have just googled "mountain destination France" I am not saying that they might be an idiot as that will awaken all the teachers that might be on an well deserved holiday.

Never set a task or ask a question of a student or pupil, if you can't give a reasonable answer yourself?

mysterion 19 Jul 2017
In reply to r.gna:
Q1 - tourist
Q2 - very accessible
Q3 - well maintained
Q4 - mountaineering some of the best in the world
Q4 - more stable weather conditions!

Overall Idwal/Snowdonia is kept more natural while Chamonix is more open to development - just different policies
Post edited at 12:12
 GrahamD 19 Jul 2017
In reply to r.gna:

I would say that the a few differences are:

Chaminix is a town, not a village, with all the leisure facilities of a town.
Chamonix is truly international, with appeal for travellers across the world (mountaineers or just sightseeing).
Chamonix is a 4 season resort, the snow means that it has appeal to skiers as well as mountaineers
Mountain access via cable car is excellent
Road connections and transport links are excellent

What it doesn't have (surprisingly) are easy valley crags right on the doorstep.
 Doug 19 Jul 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

Never really enjoyed climbing there but Les Gaillands is practically in the town & has routes from 3 upwards ( Les Gaillands )
 GrahamD 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Doug:

Stand corrected ! for some reason I thought you had to drive a few km out of town.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...