UKC

Simon4 RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Naylor 19 Jul 2017
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere (I did a search but didn't find anything), but I understand that Simon4 (formerly of this parish but lately suspended from posting....real name Simon Kemper) was killed in the Alps a few days ago, during his ascent of the 50th of the 50 peaks over 4000m which he'd set as a goal.

I met him a couple of times in real life, and while I didn't agree with many of his views, I found him much less abrasive IRL than he tended to be on here. Always pulled more than his weight and very helpful, though didn't tolerate people he regarded as fools gladly.

RIP Simon.
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Sorry to hear that. RIP Simon
 Big Ger 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

RIP Simon 4.
 marsbar 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

I'm sorry to hear that. I had many an argument with him on here, and didn't agree with him on various things but met him very briefly and he was really pleasant in real life.
 stevieb 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Sad news. On the alpine / climbing forums he always came across as well informed and helpful. RIP Simon.
 mike lawrence? 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Oh no that is terrible. I knew him and whilst the most argumentative person I have ever met he was also extremely kind and considerate. I shall miss The Gnome. If you know any funeral details please message me.
 Rob Exile Ward 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:
That's terrible news. As a fully paid-up Guardianista of course I held diametrically opposite views but his comments and opinions were always a welcome contrary contribution with wit and vitriol in equal measure.

Very sad indeed, and being just back from the Alps myself it just reinforces how dangerous they can be. But for the Grace of God etc...
Post edited at 09:48
 Doug 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Sorry to hear that, didn't agree with his political ideas but he was always helpful & informative on mountaineering threads. Never met him but suspect we'd have got on OK despite our political differences as there was plenty of other stuff where we did agree
 Postmanpat 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Very sad news. I'd never met him but had been told that in person he was was a good bloke and very different to his "UKC persona". Having said that his trenchant views offered a healthy and entertaining counterpoint to the usual consensus.

RIP Simon
 Mick Ward 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:
He had such a presence it's hard to believe that he's gone from us. I used to wonder what he was like in real life, suspected that kindness and consideration would be there. You couldn't doubt his courage.

Rest in peace, Simon.

Mick
Post edited at 10:04
 Tyler 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

That's a real shame, UKC has lost a valuable alternative voice and was already poorer for his banning. His rants were always an entertaining read whether I agreed or not.
 jonnie3430 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Very sad news. RIP.
 dread-i 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

I think that sometimes, in the heat of debate, we forget that there is a fellow climber on the other side. The idea we are one big, happily dysfunctional, community can become lost.
RIP Simon.
Gone for good 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Very sorry to hear this news. An entertaining poster on UKC and I for one will miss his forthright opinions. RIP Simon 4.
 jkarran 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Sad news. Thanks for letting us know Rob.
jk
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Really sad news. He was certainly one of the most memorable posters on here........
RIP Simon
In reply to Rob Naylor:

that is terrible news. i found his posts on alpine stuff fascinating and compelling. i didn't know him, but will miss his contributions here. RIP Simon.
 Calvi 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Very sad news, his knowledge of Alpine matters was always informative. Tragic.
In reply to Tyler:

> That's a real shame, UKC has lost a valuable alternative voice and was already poorer for his banning. His rants were always an entertaining read whether I agreed or not.

I agree. His POV was always welcome. I disagree with banning and suspending people on UKC*. The whole purpose of forums is to discuss matters which are sometime polarising and if you dont agree, dont read or better still, provide a counterpoint with your own argument. I would even go as far as saying that very highly controversial views should be allowed on here because there is a a wealth of intelligence with which to provide balance, regardless of your political, cultural or racial heritage. I dont climb any more with my mountain exploits limited to hill walking and camping but I still come here because its lively, informative and above all, varied. Sometimes it can be gut achingly funny.

Simon4 was outspoken and should have been allowed to remain outspoken on here for as long as he wanted to do so.

RIP.

*with the exception of personal messages which cant be publicly challenged, harassment, stalking or sexually unwanted approaches.

krikoman 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Poor Simon
 Stichtplate 19 Jul 2017
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Well said. RIP Simon.
 The New NickB 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:
Terrible news.

I always assumed his UKC persona was 20% him and 80% taken to extremes in an attempt to wind up Guardianistas like me. I had noticed that he hadn't been posting, I didn't realise he had been banned.

Not that it is important, another character from our community, lost to the mountains.
Post edited at 12:31
 pneame 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Very sad news. I was in awe of his mountaineering experience and knowledge - always willing to share.
While I am a card-carrying guardianista I loved his rants which had a life of their own.
And his opinions were always well argued,

I'll miss him, even though I never met him
 MG 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

That's sad. Also very sobering reading it at a hut after an alpine route. I knew him slightly and climbed with him once. As others have said, opinionated and argumentative but fundemantally a good.guy. Certainly not the persona be cultivated here!
 lummox 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Bloody hell ! A sobering reminder of the dangers always hiding in the mountains..
 Yanis Nayu 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

That's really sad. I too didn't often agree with him but I respected his knowledge, and his ranting about Guardianistas did make me chuckle.

Condolences to friends and family.

RIP
 BALD EAGLE 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Oh dear desperately sad news. Sincere condolences to all Simon's friends, family and loved ones.
 Trangia 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Very sad news to learn just as I have returned from a week in the Alps. As with others I had a few clashes with him on the Forum, it's a pity that most of us are only learning now that he was basically a nice bloke and not at all like his persona on here, as I am sure most of us are. After all we all share a common interest and love of the mountains and climbing.

RIP Simon
 Dauphin 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I always imagined he had been brought up by real life 'Modern Parents' from Viz Comic hence the Guardianista ranting and apoplexy. Was indeed a long way from his thoughtful and considered posts on Alpinism.

R.I.P. Fella.

D
 elsewhere 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:
Sad and sobering news.
 The Lemming 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

I am sorry to hear the sad news
 Roadrunner5 19 Jul 2017
In reply to The Lemming:
Awful news, saw this on Suttys FB. He'll be missed. I don't think I agreed with a word he'd posted politically but a range of views should be welcomed.
 Siward 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Sad news and we on UKC are all the poorer for it.

Trangia 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Since my response to your original post I have been looking back through some of Simon's posts on here and came across this one written in April this year in response to someone seeking advice for a first trip to the Alps. He has obviously taken a lot of trouble in writing this which is an incredibly helpful and understanding post from someone genuinely wanting to help a fellow mountaineer:-

"> So I suppose the first question is; have we got enough experience to undertake a trip to the alps?

Yes, provided you suitably limit your aspirations to what is realistic.

The Alps are a huge and varied area, with all sorts of activities possible, including via ferattas (always secured movement up sometimes steep cliffs, with fixed gear, often professionally placed), robust walking, high mountain skiing, lower level technical rockclimbing and of course classical alpinism in the high mountains. So try to pick something that suits your background, which sounds mostly like robust walking.

In the lower Alps (generally up to the level of the mountain refuges where more Alpine routes generally launch from), there are frequent, normally well tracked and mapped paths, you can get pretty high on these, up to 3000m and above without the need to do anything technical. As the other comment said, June, depending on beginning June or end June, is a bit early and you may encounter snow and blocked paths, normally it will be possible to suss out the situation after a couple of outings and avoid likely areas of snowslope.

> Also, what should we expect?

It can be blistering sunshine, walking in shorts/T shirts and possibly trainers or lightweight robust shoes. Or it can be grim, cloudy, dank, with lots of precipitation and strong wind. It depends on the weather and if you are on the North side or South side of the Alps, also how far West in the ranges you are (generally the further East and South, the better the weather.

> can recommend a particular area to visit that would be suitable

One obvious area is the Aosta valley in Northern Italy and its side valleys. Protected by the Mont Blanc and Valaisan ranges from the worst and first of the weather, normally good paths lower down, though they get more stony and nebulous higher up. The popular ice-climbing town of Cogne is the start point for some excellent walks, and like many Italian mountain regions, it has lots of high bivouac huts which you can reach on paths and spend the night in if you wish, without booking or bureaucracy, though you will need to carry food and probably a stove to do so comfortably. Normally it gets very hot indeed in the main Cogne valley at that time of year, so expect to start a walk to the higher side valleys or bivi huts quite early, 7 or 7:30 in the morning, so you can get out of the oven of the main valley before the full heat of the sun arrives.

There are lots of other regions that are delightful to visit at that time of year, such as the Ecrins in France and the Engandine in Switzerland, of for that matter the incredibly stunning views above Zermatt in the Valais region, but for a first trip, Switzerland is probably un-necessarily expensive, though it certainly has some chocolate-box pretty or visually stunning scenes, for example the demanding walk up to the Schreckhorn hut.

You will find in some regions that June is a bit of a hiatus period, especially for the main guardianed refuge huts. They tend to be open around Easter for the ski-touring season, then close in the second or third week in May not to reopen till late June as the main Alpinism season starts. Similarly, campsites and the valleys may be in semi-slumber for the same reason. Quite a popular activity for walkers is to walk up to the guardianed mountain huts by their approach paths, have a beer there and then descend the same day, this is particularly suitable as often you cannot really see the mountains from the main valleys as the valleys are themselves deep and overshadowed, so you need to get up to the next level where the huts are before the main panorama opens up.

Obviously you can't get anything to drink or eat at the huts if they are closed, though of course you can carry it up yourselves. However most of the main mountain huts in a given area have a website these days, which will tell you (sometimes with a bit of frustrating searching), what periods they are open for. Most guardians will also have an email address normally given on the hut site (or the site of the main Alpine club in a country, CAF, Club Alpine Francais in France, CAI, Club Alpin Italian in Italy and SAC, Swiss Alpine Club in CH), usually the guardians are quite helpful in responding. If you don't know the language, either get a friend to translate it or write in English, with an apology for not writing in their native language - it normally gives a better result than pigeon French or German from Google Translate!

Hope that helps"
Removed User 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Nice one T. This sort of generosity in taking the time to share his very considerable alpine knowledge is at least as representative of his ukc persona as his off the scale political ranting.

I knew him when he lived in Edinburgh, when I joined the Jacobites MC he was one of the first people to speak to me. We had a weekend in the Lakes and he crashed at my house a couple of times when he was up here visiting. Despite us disagreeing on absolutely everything we got on easily and I enjoyed his company. He was uncompromising and direct in his views but he never folded his arms or lost his composure when in an argument, though he tended not to foist his opinions, rather he would challenge others he disagreed with, which often meant everyone. I lost touch with him c.10 years ago but clearly the endless close shaves with death (there are lots of stories) hadn't affected his drive for alpine climbing. RIP Simon.
 TheFasting 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

That's really sad. At least he went out doing what he loved, that's something.
 Bootsy 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:
What sad news. I went to the Civil Service Club in December 2015 to listen to his account of the exciting climb and epic descent from the Aiguille Blanche de Peuterey (his partner was also there, Wayne I think although his surname escapes me). He told the story well in an unassuming way with the kind of self-deprecating humour that so often accompanies great mountaineering adventures.

Condolences to those who knew him best.
Post edited at 17:16
 DalesClimber 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

I'm really sorry to hear this. My husband and I met Simon in the Almageller Hut a few years ago and ascended the Weissmies alongside him the next day. We then spent the next evening making our way through a couple of bottles of wine with him in the valley!

He was a lot less abrasive in real life than he came across on here, and was good company. He also went out of his way to send us photos and a video he had taken of us on the hill. Sad news.

RIP
 LakesWinter 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

He was always utterly helpful on all matters Alpine. Gutted to hear this RIP.
 Ridge 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Thanks for posting this. Shocking news. RIP.
Pan Ron 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Ah, bugger. Thoroughly enjoyed his contrary attitude and his challenges of received wisdom and prevailing attitudes here. Will be missed. His opinions might have been opposed by many, but it was his opinion and, at the very least, always elicited a wry smile - I suspect he thoroughly enjoyed spouting them too.
 Greylag 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

I PM'd him on advice for a first trip to the Alps and he sent a lengthy email back detailing the pros and cons of different areas. I took his advice and only arrived back on Monday.

I had planned to email him thanking him for his suggestions. Very sorry I won't get the chance.

TobyA 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:
Terribly sad - it's nice to hear people who met Simon4 out climbing are all universally saying he was a nice chap. I felt his posts here about politics and social issues were always consistently very angry that I doubted he was playing it up to create a persona radically different from his actual one but then, on the other hand, his love of the Alps always came through in those posts and showed him in a totally different light so maybe it should be no surprise that he was great company in the hills and away from arguments here.

I wrote this now over 10 years ago when the UKC community lost some of "our own" on a terrible day in the Cairngorms: http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.co.uk/2006/11/community-and-sadness.html but it feels just as relevant now.
Post edited at 19:30
 PaulW 19 Jul 2017
 arch 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

I for one will miss his posts and this place will be the worse for his passing.

RIP.
 pec 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Simon was the undisputed master of the rant. As one of the few who tended to be on his side of the fence I found them especially amusing.
As a fellow Alpinist its very sad to lose one of your own, its not long ago we were exchanging advice on alpine routes on here, even debating whether some mountains should qualify as 4000ers. I'll be thinking of you as I climb in the Alps next month.
 Bobling 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

I only knew him from his posts here and as a card-carrying anti-Guardianista very much enjoyed his political forays. As ever with a climbing death it seems unimaginable that someone can be taken away so suddenly. RIP Simon4.
 abr1966 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

RIP Simon, a very capable mountaineer by the sound of it and a true Alpinist. Crossed swords with him on here a few times and didn't care for his views but respect to him as a fellow climber...
Thoughts with his family and friends...
 Neil Williams 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

RIP Simon4
 jcw 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Just seen this. I don't care a damn about his political views and I didn't know he'd been banned from UKC, more fools them. But he was clearly a very fine alpinist and thats all that interests me. There are not many who have anything worthwhile saying on this forum about the Alps and both my exchanges with him in private and on this forum convinces me he must have been a great bloke. UKC as well as those close to him are all the poorer for his loss.

Robert Durran 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

I climbed a couple of time with Simon many years ago when he was Edinburgh based but never realised until today that he was Simon4 on here. Undoubtedly a real character and great enthusiast. A sad loss.
 off-duty 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:
That's terrible to hear. His rants, agree or disagree with his argument, were superb.

His climbing posts were informative and he was clearly a good mountaineer.

Wish I'd had the opportunity to meet him over a beer.
Post edited at 23:38
 thomasadixon 20 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Only know him by his posts, but he always wrote well and caused a reaction on here, and that's well worth having. I was looking forward to him coming back eventually, real shame he never will.

Nice to hear the stories about his alps posts and real life as well, sounds like a good man.

RIP Simon4.
 Nevis-the-cat 20 Jul 2017

I had several chats with Simon on matters alpine. He was a font of knowledge for the esoteric route and less climbed north face.

It was always fun locking horns with him - I thought his UKC persona was performance art. It's good to know he really was such a forthright character.

I hope they publish his obituary in the Guardian - he'd like that..

dunc56 20 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

RIP Simon.

Good man for not being brow beaten by the echo chamber ..... I do love the idea of an obituary in the Guardian
OP Rob Naylor 20 Jul 2017
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:
Obit in the Grauniad ... Love it!

Post edited at 09:15
 Coel Hellier 20 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

I never met him but enjoyed his posting style. A diversity of opinion is a good counter to the "bubbles" that can sometimes surround us, and he greatly added to UKC. Sad news.
 Yanis Nayu 20 Jul 2017
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

> I had several chats with Simon on matters alpine. He was a font of knowledge for the esoteric route and less climbed north face.

> It was always fun locking horns with him - I thought his UKC persona was performance art. It's good to know he really was such a forthright character.

> I hope they publish his obituary in the Guardian - he'd like that..

I reckon he'd see the humour in that from what I gauged of his personality.
 Timmd 21 Jul 2017
In reply to mike lawrence?:
> Oh no that is terrible. I knew him and whilst the most argumentative person I have ever met he was also extremely kind and considerate. I shall miss The Gnome. If you know any funeral details please message me.

I thought glimmers of kindness filtered through online, in him being helpful whenever he was able to be.

I'm sorry for your loss.
Post edited at 00:54

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...