UKC

Combined Lyskamm & Breithorn traverse

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 davkeo 20 Jul 2017

Has anybody ever done the combined effort? Just looking into it now & seems probable, at least on paper. Going east to west I'm thinking night 1 bivi at Giordano, traverse Lyskamm & Castor (maybe Pollux also?). Night 2 bivi at Rossi e Vollante & day 3 traverse Breithorn.

Thanks
Post edited at 09:39
 John R 20 Jul 2017
In reply to davkeo:

Did it over two days back in 1988. Day one (from Balmhorn bivouac) over Lyskamm, Castor and Pollux. Night at Cesare e Giorgio(?) bivouac. Day two over Breithorn. Two cracking days in perfect conditions, as part of a round that earlier took in all the tops of the Monte Rosa group, again over two days. Straightforward, lovely, classic Alpine days. Have fun, John.
 MG 20 Jul 2017
In reply to davkeo:

I think Winthrop Young did it from Rifflealp over Monte Rosa, Lyskamm to Castor and part way back! Have a read in 4000m Peaks of the Alps coffee table book.
 pec 20 Jul 2017
In reply to davkeo:

I was stopping in the Rossi e Volante hut once when a team were doing it in the opposite direction.
As an aside, they were eastern Europeans back the days when Eastern Europeans were dirt poor. The guy who seemed to be acting as a leader was carrying one of those ancient external frame rucsacks with loads of pockets on the outside. From one of them he produced an equally ancient picnic gas stove with those blue non resealable gas cartridges and then some pans with handles (like proper pans you find in a kitchen).
He was wearing a multicoloured 1980's style one piece ski suit and some bendy fabric boots.

Don't imagine any of this is of much help to you, but hats off to the Eastern Europeans who used to climb in the Alps with the worst kit you've ever seen.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...