UKC

MSR Whisperlite jet question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 david morse 20 Jul 2017
I have been using my MSR whisperlite for 15 years with the same jet in it, I have always used petrol.

I have some bioethanol I would like to use, can I use the same jet as I have been using for petrol? The reason I ask is because I have lost the spare jet.

Thanks in advance

Oliver Houston 20 Jul 2017
In reply to david morse:

On the basis that they won't burn meths with either jet, I'd guess not. Took me a while to find that info after trying both jets (the whole thing just sort of burns in a ball of blue flame, not very dangerous, but not ideal either).

Bioethanol may be more viscose, so a bit more effective than meths, but I think a trangia or coke can stove might be better.
 gethin_allen 20 Jul 2017
In reply to Oliver Houston:

> On the basis that they won't burn meths with either jet, I'd guess not.

My whisperlite international burns meths. It's not ideal as I think it damages the rubber in the pump because ethanol has no significant lubrication properties but I've managed to use it.

If you were to mix in a bit of petrol with the meths it would probably work nicely.

OP david morse 20 Jul 2017
Thanks for the replies, I think I'll stick to petrol based on your comments. Cheers
 Oliver Houston 20 Jul 2017
In reply to gethin_allen:

Hmm, maybe I just didn't get it primed right, it seemed to burn, just not in a nice, pretty from the disperser.

Somewhere I found something that said they're not for alcohol fuels, but it wasn't easy to find.
 CliffPowys 20 Jul 2017
In reply to david morse:

In your fifteen years of using petrol, how often do you clean the jet etc?

Do you filter the petrol?

I am considering using petrol in a Whisperlite International on a trip to Kyrgyzstan next year.
 gethin_allen 21 Jul 2017
In reply to CliffPowys:

>" In your fifteen years of using petrol, how often do you clean the jet etc?"

It has a shaker needle thingy, you shake the whole thing in a vertical movement and you should hear a rattle where a weighted needle cleans the jet.
OP david morse 21 Jul 2017
Petrol burns well, quite smoky whilst priming (hence the bioethanol question) but reliable. I have needed 3 replacement pumps though, the plastic and/or rubber seals don't last forever

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...