UKC

Dynamic rope top-rope shunting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy Gamisou 21 Jul 2017
Articles I've read on ways to self belay all suggest using a (semi) static rope. I'm trying out self belaying (top-rope, using a shunt). Seems to work OK (ish) with a bog standard dynamic climbing rope. Are there any significant safety reason why I shouldn't do this? (yes, I know I should find some friends, and yes I know "I'm gonna die" - but am I more likely to die (and if you knew me better you'd know why I don't have friends)). Thanks muchly.
 ModerateMatt 21 Jul 2017
In reply to Scotch Bingington:

If your rope is over an edge it might rub more with dynamic but a rope protector will sort that. Go for it
 Cheese Monkey 21 Jul 2017

Done it for ages. You probably won't die but static is better
 Offwidth 21 Jul 2017
Be very careful if there is any overhanging rock... if you read the shunt safety information its not designed for this purpose, the main problem being it can slip on overhangs. More info here...

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=581972
Post edited at 13:25
 scott titt 21 Jul 2017
I have been using a shunt on a dynamic climbing rope since 1984, I'm still here.
 oldie 21 Jul 2017

Have no experience of this method which presumably has rope anchored at top. Wouldn't an occasional clip of harness belay loop into a fig 8 on bight below shunt stop you if shunt slipped?
I've sometimes climbed just clipping into loops, no device. Fell once. Was OK.
 Michael Gordon 21 Jul 2017
In reply to oldie:

The issue isn't the shunt slipping. The disadvantages of using a dynamic rope rather than static are (a) rope stretching over an edge and (b) if you come off on steep ground with the anchor a long way above you'll go some distance on rope stretch, so working a hard route like this could be a right pest.
 henwardian 21 Jul 2017

+1 on the "it's always been fine for me" front.
If you find the amount of rope stretch annoying and are working a small section, you can always clove-hitch the rope to a piece of gear a number of metres above you so you get minimal stretch distance but still backed up by the anchor if it blows.
Lusk 21 Jul 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

Do you think a lard arse like Scotch will be attempting something like Kilnsey Overhang or the like?
A normal rope is perfectly fine.
Andy Gamisou 22 Jul 2017

Thanks for the responses. I'm suitably reassured. I'll also keep an eye out for sharp edges. Cheers all.
Andy Gamisou 22 Jul 2017
In reply to Lusk:
> Do you think a lard arse like Scotch will be attempting something like Kilnsey Overhang or the like?

So true. Although will be using the technique to work towards the first FFOBA of a local 7c.
Post edited at 06:02
Andy Gamisou 22 Jul 2017
In reply to henwardian:

> If you find the amount of rope stretch annoying and are working a small section, you can always clove-hitch the rope to a piece of gear a number of metres above you so you get minimal stretch distance but still backed up by the anchor if it blows.

Sound like a good idea, and fits with my purposes nicely. Cheers.

springfall2008 22 Jul 2017
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Isn't there also a risk of decking if you come off near the ground due to the rope stretch, so it's a good idea to weight the rope initially?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...