UKC

New to trad climbing in Italy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sezza 23 Jul 2017
Hi all,
We have been climbing in the dolomites for the last 2 weeks. Mainly Rosengarten/catinaccio group and Sella group. It has been great but as we are new to the world of trad climbing (sport climbers previously) we have a couple of questions for the experienced trad climbers out there.
1. How do the dolomite grades compare to UK difficulty in your opinion? We've been climbing UIAA IV+ - V's which have been perfect for us but seem more challenging than they look on paper ie HS-VS, however we've never trad climbed anywhere else but here so just curious...
2. Any specific tips for speeding up multipitches? At this point we're taking 30% more time than is noted in the Rockfax guide which we think is mainly due to the last point.
3. Route finding. Any specific tips? (We know the dolomites are known to be difficult). And if you do find yourself off route, is generally down climbing the best option?? (I am aware this is a really broad question and each situation needs to be considered uniquely but thought I'd ask if anyone has any strategies they use)
Thanks everyone!
 Kevster 23 Jul 2017
In reply to Sezza:

1. Grade conversions are rarely accurate, different systems grade for different things. UK trad grades technical grade is for the hardest moves/sequence, not the overall difficulty for example. Personally I find that when somewhere new, I have to calibrate the local grading / rock/ style to my abilities before attempting what I suspect is a climb that pushes my limit.
uk climbs frequently aren't so run out as the dolomites, though shorter so greater consequences.
2. Setting up belays takes time, efficiency here helps. Swing leads, use slings for belays I find can help. One sorts rope, other racks up, climb quickly and place gear efficiently. Comes with practice.
3. Look for where others have been, if it's a popular route, chalk, polish, vegetation, clean rock all help. Some times you just get it wrong. What to do then is subjective. Knowing when to back off or when to push on is a good skill to have!

Have fun, climb safe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...